Betrayal - pics and vids

The latest and oldest photos and videos of Daniel Craig. Don't be shy about contributing!

Moderator: Germangirl

tampa

Post by tampa »

Most of the major newspaper and mag reviews that i saw were negative. The New York Times, the New York Post, & the Observer were all negative. The New York Daily News was positive. The New Yorker, Entertainment Weekly & New York Mag. were all negative. I know some gossip columnists liked it and no doubt I've missed some other good reviews. A big BO success yes, but a critical success for DC, I don't think so. It was a poor role, and perhaps poor direction, but for me ultimately he made a very poor choice of play and role. He cannot be happy with his lack of critical rave reviews.

He is not doing Broadway for the money. The big BO was a given, but the bad reviews, were not. I think it is charitable to call the reviews mixed. There will possibly be some interesting items written after this play closes about why he did it and why he has ignored his film career for what could be 3 years only to do another marginalized Bond. I'm still a fan of his talent but sadly not of what i think are bad career choices or more precisely in the case of his film career, no choices.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

It has a 8.1 rating, which is among the 5 best of broadway. Many other important papers like Variety, Hollywood Reporter etc etc were raves. How come, you might have missed them? Thats the point-to get an overall picture, you need to read them all, not just a fracture. There is a world outside the NYT, but true, to get them would have been nice. But another view, why the majority of the NYpapers were negative is, that the Times is the big mother hen and they followed her lead. Other big papers from outside gave it a complitely different view. For you, they all dont count.

But please and this is important to me - I am not going up against you as a person, we just have different opinions, that have the same value.
Last edited by Germangirl on Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:It has a 8.1 rating, which is among the 5 best of broadway. Many other important papers like Variety, Hollywood Reporter etc etc were raves. How come, you might have missed them? Thats the point-to get an overall picture, you need to read them all, not just a fracture. There is a world outside the NYT, but true, to get them would have been nice. But another view, why the majority of the NYpapers were negative is, that the Times is the big mother hen and they followed her lead. Other big papers from outside gave it a complitely different view. For you, they all dont count.
Here we go.... 8.1 avg

http://www.broadwayworld.com/reviews.cfm

Average A- from 30 reviews

http://stagegrade.com/productions/1320
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Sylvia's girl wrote:
Germangirl wrote:What's he saying? Why no signing? Did you see Rachel? :lol: Still, great little vid. Thanks FSG and your calm hands.
maybe they are only signing playbills for BCEFA.
So they were selling signed playbills inside that day...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Voeb16NsUQ
tampa

Post by tampa »

Ok, i've been reading all the reviews and i'll grant they are more mixed then negative, but Rafe def walked off with the best reviews. I am biased because i hate Pinter, i find him cold and pretentious and I was really sad to read that DC was going to do this play and take the lesser role. If he was going to do it, he should have taken the better role. And nichols did juice up DC's role. He also took a lot of liberties with Pinters play which may be why some Pinter lovers didn't like it.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Tampa, there are more positive then even mixed reviews. Read Sylvias post.
And what i read, had some praising Rafe but the equal number certainly did the same for Daniel. That doesn't mean though, that we cannot end up with a nod for him and not for Daniel. He is new, he is fresh and did a great job, so it COULD happen and I am not saying, I would like that. But Glas Menagery will most likely end up with winning Tonys.

But yeah, Mike did take liberties, that some didn't like. True - but then, I assume, they knew that and still decided to take the chance. When I read the NYT review, it made me want to see it even more. It was obvious, he didn't like the direction at all and didn't mind being sarcastic about it. But I also read comments, that said, people don't take his word as the Bible. When I posted, how the demand went up after the opening, it was telling to me and even though there are many people travelling, I assume its mostly NYers, who go see it.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Shit, how'd I miss that Dunda was in town! And sf! Are you there together, did you meet up?
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I just asked my friend if she noticed any difference between the applause at the end. She said she did, but that it made sense because Rafe's role was the lead role and that he was on stage 3:1 over DC (it's definitely not that high of ratio, but that was her perception.) She said that the play would have been a lot more believable if Daniel had played the lover rather than the husband. Her question, "Why would she have an affair with the other guy when she's married to Daniel? I could see her wanting to have an affair with Daniel but not the other way around." She didn't think that Rafe was any better. I didn't think that Daniel could have done any better - I used to think that. He was natural and I never once thought hat he was 'acting.'

I also think that it's neccary to sex the roles up for today. It's a story about adultery, and people want to see sex. Boo on the NYT critic. He can wish he story stayed true to the play but I tell you, watching Daniel be sexually aggressive was HOT. It definitely made the play more interesting. Just the kiss, which was how it was at the beginning of previews was boring, and he show was pretty boring, too. The world is exposed to a lot more sex today on TV, the Internet, books (50 Shades), so I think we are disappointed without it. Nichols had almost none, dialed it up, dialed it up some more with Daniel getting into her pants, and then after opening night, he dialed it back. I forgot to add that before be kissed her in that scene, he gave her a really sympathetic look, like "Don't worry. I love you. It's okay." I don't recall him giving her that expressin before.

Nichols changed the beginning a bit after the opening night. It gets better each time.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

^^^^

Take note BB, Mendes, et al.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

bumblebee wrote:Shit, how'd I miss that Dunda was in town! And sf! Are you there together, did you meet up?
No, such a bummer! We are literally just missing each other. I leave today around 5pm. It would have been difficult this visit though since my BFF is with me. She knows I like DC, but she knows nothing of the forum. She doesn't have any kind of crush on him, but she is an admirer of his body and masculinity. The only things she knows about him is what I tell her. I can't wait for their reviews!!!
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

sf2la wrote:
bumblebee wrote:Shit, how'd I miss that Dunda was in town! And sf! Are you there together, did you meet up?
No, such a bummer! We are literally just missing each other. I leave today around 5pm. It would have been difficult this visit though since my BFF is with me. She knows I like DC, but she knows nothing of the forum. She doesn't have any kind of crush on him, but she is an admirer of his body and masculinity. The only things she knows about him is what I tell her. I can't wait for their reviews!!!
You should wear a badge with some sort of code on it, that way if Dunda walks passed you she'll give you a nod and a wink and nothing more :wink:
Alina

Post by Alina »

Germangirl wrote:It has a 8.1 rating, which is among the 5 best of broadway. Many other important papers like Variety, Hollywood Reporter etc etc were raves. How come, you might have missed them? Thats the point-to get an overall picture, you need to read them all, not just a fracture. There is a world outside the NYT, but true, to get them would have been nice. But another view, why the majority of the NYpapers were negative is, that the Times is the big mother hen and they followed her lead. Other big papers from outside gave it a complitely different view. For you, they all dont count.

But please and this is important to me - I am not going up against you as a person, we just have different opinions, that have the same value.
Tampa, there are more positive then even mixed reviews. Read Sylvias post.
And what i read, had some praising Rafe but the equal number certainly did the same for Daniel.

GG, I wholeheartedly admire your diplomacy, composure and your being so civil and benevolent :)

Chapeau bas!
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

Hi Tampa, good to see you - you've been quiet for a while :wave:
Sorry to hear you still feel pretty glum about Daniel's choice in doing the play. I have to say I agree entirely with GG. I don't think he seems unhappy at all - it looks to me as if he's having a ball. And although reviews have been mixed, the only thing I can think of anyone saying against his performance was a lack of Pinteresque pauses. He's been described as smouldering and powerful, and I can't imagine he would be unhappy with that. He knows full well he can both pull in and please the crowds, it sounds to me as if he's doing both. Some may not be happy if they don't see James Bond up on the stage, but that's their problem. As GG pointed out, most of the harsh words have been reserved for the director and by those who don't "get" Rachel's take on her character.
Anyway, it's fun to have a full spectrum of views expressed. DC is a lucky guy to have fans who care so much about his career and his happiness
:)
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I agree CH, but I, too, appreciate Tampa's take on the play and his role. While I have no idea what Daniel really thinks, he seems to be very happy. For me, it was his first performance that got a full standing ovation with cheers. Everyone I could hear walking out around us were speaking a out how much they liked it.

I tried to focus on Daniel's hands, to see if he gesticulated too much. I didn't see it. Rachel was wonderful. I admit her piercing scream on opening night was too much, but she isn't doing it anymore.

As for which role DC should have taken, I say it's he one he decided on, whichever it would have been. He had the choice. He could have picked either. And as for people wanting to see James Bond, they get as close as possible. He speaks with his own accent, is bulked up, and has hair that you just want to run your hands through. His shirt is open in the last scene, and you get a glimpse of his chest, necklace and all (something rectangular shaped in gold -I think - at the end, although he chain is silver. Jerry does not play a sexy character at all. He's far less manly. DC is powerful, and I'll take that any day. It's also just very, very cool to see R and him on the stage playing husband and wife. Their looks at reach other, to see her caress his back while he's leaning over a railing, to see him 'take her down' to the sofa for sex, etc. it's all good. And for him, he gets to be home. This play will be remembered by how much money it has made, which is huge. And all because Daniel, really. People are getting their money's worth if their seats are close enough.
Last edited by sf2la on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

The best I can say about it all - even though we cannot know, what he really thinks - is, that strain always shows on his face and he hasn't looked this proper and well in a long time.

We should remember, that ever since CR, he has worked almost entirely back to back, being thown into a world, he never imagined himself in and he dealed and is dealing with it to the best of his abilities. Some might say, that's not enough to have a continuously successful career, because he is too laid back, but I believe his main goal is happiness and not a career, that might leave him exhausted and in places all the time, he doesn't feel comfortable in.

I think, he needed this break badly to come to his senses again and live his married life without constant interruptions. Is that really so wrong?

And - as good Rafe might be as a stage actor, he will never be even close to DC's ability to be a leading man, hence will only get supporting roles. He is just not the type and the film, where he had the romantic lead flopped badly.