Betrayal - pics and vids

The latest and oldest photos and videos of Daniel Craig. Don't be shy about contributing!

Moderator: Germangirl

tampa

Post by tampa »

CockHargreaves wrote:Hi Tampa, good to see you - you've been quiet for a while :wave:
Sorry to hear you still feel pretty glum about Daniel's choice in doing the play. I have to say I agree entirely with GG. I don't think he seems unhappy at all - it looks to me as if he's having a ball. And although reviews have been mixed, the only thing I can think of anyone saying against his performance was a lack of Pinteresque pauses. He's been described as smouldering and powerful, and I can't imagine he would be unhappy with that. He knows full well he can both pull in and please the crowds, it sounds to me as if he's doing both. Some may not be happy if they don't see James Bond up on the stage, but that's their problem. As GG pointed out, most of the harsh words have been reserved for the director and by those who don't "get" Rachel's take on her character.
Anyway, it's fun to have a full spectrum of views expressed. DC is a lucky guy to have fans who care so much about his career and his happiness
:
)
Thank you for your perspective on my contrarian views. I know they are not popular, but since it was first announced, I've been down about his doing this Pinter play and taking the supporting role. There have been too many tweets and reviews that state that Rafe gives the strongest performance. Well, it's because he has the far better and bigger role - the role DC should have done if he simply had to do this play. People are paying a fortune to see him in a leading role, not a supporting one and many tweets and the applause for Rafe that sf notes, reflect that.

When I am negative like this, it is because I'm coming from a place that is looking for him to have great roles and major awards on his resume. SF gave him a window with huge leverage for some major film roles. Some would miss, but some could have been great. I think the lack of traffic on this forum, reflects where his career is. Some long time posters have left, and many more just read. That is because there is simply no new film work for anyone to see, comment on, or anticipate, and that would also attract new fans.

For me, he is wasting a talent, intensity, and charisma that deserve big, challenging roles, not an occasional supporting one. In has last play, also no big critical hit, at least HE was front and center the entire play and he was also in the middle of having plenty of film work on his plate. It shouldn't be his job to just nurture and support other talent. He's not directing or producing. To me, it's his job to nurture his talent. His time to get the great roles is brief, and this Pinter role is not a great role. That's why Nichols wanted him to play Jerry.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Being newlyweds, it really is so cool that they chose to work together and stay home while doing it. Heck, he is working, after all, and he doesn't need to be, financially. Especially with $50M guaranteed him in the next couple of years.

He does seem really happy, and why would he? He has the world by its tail, and he is married to one of the most beautiful women alive. She is just stunning. He's the actor amongst his friends with the trophy wife. Men love to know that.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I really don't think that he took the smaller role to let another actor shine. He must have preferred the character. But I see your point about the headlining role should get top billing. If an equally popular actor played Jerry, that actor would receive top billing, but because it's unknown Rafe....
tampa

Post by tampa »

sf2la wrote:I really don't think that he took the smaller role to let another actor shine. He must have preferred the character. But I see your point about the headlining role should get top billing. If an equally popular actor played Jerry, that actor would receive top billing, but because it's unknown Rafe....
I don't think he took the lesser role to make Rafe shine either. I think he took the role because RW wanted to do the play, and because of this "privacy" obsession he, or she, felt he shouldn't play Jerry. I think if they simply had to do this play, he should have said the hell with it, and as Nichols obviously wanted, taken the better role.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Tampa, a lot was said by me and others - does nothing of that change your opinion even a bit? All you are concerned about is his career. What about happiness over career? Obviously career is not the most important thing on his mind and what about, when I wrote down, how much he has worked year after year and that it was obvious, he needed a break. Do you want him to exhaust himself to the limit just to make film after film? It sounds like that.

And yes, you are right, the clock for leading man roles is ticking. I guess, he will be just as happy or happier to take supporting roles, when they interest him. Again - our/your way of viewing it must not necessarely be what he is concerned about. Right now, I have the feeling, he is deliberately taking the plunge and be even more invisible as usual. Does that a man, who is concerned about his career? Is he an idiot? maybe for some here he is, because he is turning his back on getting back into the saddle as soon as possible and be in the spotlight again. I can literally FEEL, how glad he is, that for a whole year, he didn't had to perform on any RC's or else. Why not go to the Oscars? Why not go here or there? He just doesn't want to. He has had enough for the time being. He chose somethng, where he could work but which was still rather low profile and he even cut the bit of public spotlight, he could hsve gotten out of this,. Very clear point he made.

And yes, the forum is nothing anyore compared to earlier years. Bad for us, but if we stick together, better times will come for sure. Maybe earlier then we think.

And yes, I agree, taking Robert was due to not wanting people to concentrate on him and Rachel making out rather then the play. Knowing him, it makes sense and again, I don't believe, he got into deeper worries, that Rafe might outshine him because of the bigger role. I am sure, if we started counting all the reviews and tweets etc about their performances, he would come out on top. But it bothers us to read about Rafe and hence, it sticks more in our minds.

And yes, he has lost fans - but IMO not because of not making enough films, but because he is not as approachable as many others. He must know that and still is not willing to sacrifice, what he feels is right for a better career. Its a clear cut for him and he seems willing to pay the price. You cannot argue with that.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

tampa

Post by tampa »

The problem for me is not that he took a year off to rest. That is logical after his tough back to back filming schedule. The problem for me is that it looks like he may not have a film out for 3 years if he does nothing else before shooting Bond next year. His competitors are acting in, and producing 10 or more films during his 3 year break. He worked a life time to get the leverage he got from SF, and I wish he was using it. He is not a sensitive flower. He has to be tough to be in his business. He is aging and there are tons of competitors out there going for the same top scripts. He could have shot some films in NY city, and lived at home. I don't understand the view that now he has to not work to be happy. I thought he worked like a dog to get to where he was so he could be happy working at the top of his game. He is not digging ditches for minimum wage. Whatever.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

He worked damn hard to get where is is, yes but maybe is view on priorities has changed. Could be. I am not saying NOT working makes him happy now. I am saying that he takes more time inbetween jobs and obviously that is more important to him, then competiting with all the others. Others might get ahead of him, but I don't feel, he cares. He was always different, special in his approach. We have to respect that, even if we don't like it.

Go to the pap thread. he looks delicious :wink:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Germangirl wrote:He worked damn hard to get where is is, yes but maybe is view on priorities has changed. Could be. I am not saying NOT working makes him happy now. I am saying that he takes more time inbetween jobs and obviously that is more important to him, then competiting with all the others. Others might get ahead of him, but I don't feel, he cares. He was always different, special in his approach. We have to respect that, even if we don't like it.

Go to the pap thread. he looks delicious :wink:
I have to disagree, this is not the DC that floats Bee's boat. Call me shallow, but the Betrayal look is actually doing less for me than the ASR stache! Sorry, don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but he's looking old and a total Noel Coward-esque thespian.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

For all we know he is back logged with scripts. My guess is that he knows he'll be away on location with Bond for some time, so why not do Broadway (who can say that?) and enjoy time off. Heck, why not take some time off? He's worked nonstop for most of his career. I think it comes down to one word -Rachel. He'd rather spend his time hanging out with her. And lord knows they don't need the money after Bond. They were criticized when they bob worked so much after getting married and now they are criticized because they (he) isn't working enough. I don't think his ego is as big as most other actors. I also think he's completely accepted that no matter what else he does or how well he does it, he will be forever known as Bond. The curse or blessing - whichever - but he's built a popular Bond and he's grinning all he way to the bank.

If he's as happy as he's been for many years, that means he's happy not working so much. Maybe he's just content.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I think, the hair is cut :wink:

honeyjes

Post by honeyjes »

I think as you grow older priorities change, and what you want out of life changes too. The mere fact that you wake up and are alive to see today is success in my book.

We can often lose sight of what is important if we stay on the treadmill of chasing trophies, accolades, adoration, and affirmation from others and not taking time to breathe, savour, appreciate and enjoy what we already have.

Looking over your shoulder and worrying about what he/she has or is doing gives you a stiff neck and additional insecurities. We can’t control what others do, so live your life and let others live theirs. I think Mr Craig is living in the moment and enjoying what he has, and whatever he chooses to do next will please and disappoint some the same as what we do won’t be agreeable to all.
Truth, wisdom, love, seek reasons; malice only seeks causes.
Johann Kaspar Lavater
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

The mere fact, that he is reading a script shows, he is open to do something next yea.

Agreed Jes.

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

But GG, the script he carried out of BBs was coveted by a book and wasn't it rolled over? The Betrayal script stayed in a briefcase. It would seem careless for him to walk about with his next project open for a papz to photograph. That was the same day as the visit to a school. And it may not be a script at all. The copy's layout on the page isn't convincing.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

Germangirl wrote:I think, the hair is cut :wink:
There's hope yet! Image