Rachel Weisz film news

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

SilverLining

Post by SilverLining »

Germangirl wrote: Actually, sadly the only time he really got it right was for ASR. In every other movie, he got lots of critic for his accents and in Defiance it was slipping at times and those, who knew the russian language said, his efforts were rather bad.
Just repeating, what was said and written each time, he did an accent. So, it seems to be a hit or miss with it. He can't be perfect in every aspect, poor chap :wink:
What sort is a Bostonian accent? Anybody knows?
Ahh I didn't know about this :( obviously people who know the russian language know better than me on this matter for sure! My personal opinion I did enjoy listening to him in Defiance :).
For TWT I would prefer if he keeps his natural accent though. I can't tell since we know very little about the movie, however, I don't think it's something major to have an accent or not.
Alina

Post by Alina »

I'm quite disappointed now. We'll see how all this will work.
GG, they probably want him to lose the British accent and if he's an attorney from Boston, "Bostonian" seems the natural choice, although you are right, plain American would do (if there's such a thing at all), although I still don't like the idea of him changing accents. Why can't he be a UK-born American attorney?
In Defiance his Russian was understandable, but not really the "native" one. But he did quite a good job for someone who had NEVER even tried to speak Russian before. I'm referring to the parts of the movie in which he actually spoke Russian. For the rest of the movie he spoke English with a Russian accent, which I found quite strange, to be honest. I mean, not his accent, which was not bad, but the whole idea.

Ok, I'm off to work, so have a good time, I'll be back in the evening.
Last edited by Alina on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

SilverLining wrote:
Germangirl wrote: Actually, sadly the only time he really got it right was for ASR. In every other movie, he got lots of critic for his accents and in Defiance it was slipping at times and those, who knew the russian language said, his efforts were rather bad.
Just repeating, what was said and written each time, he did an accent. So, it seems to be a hit or miss with it. He can't be perfect in every aspect, poor chap :wink:
What sort is a Bostonian accent? Anybody knows?
Ahh I didn't know about this :( obviously people who know the russian language know better than me on this matter for sure! My personal opinion I did enjoy listening to him in Defiance :).
For TWT I would prefer if he keeps his natural accent though. I can't tell since we know very little about the movie, however, I don't think it's something major to have an accent or not.
I'd prefer him to keep his natural accent too.
I think he does too, he even wanted to keep it for C&A. :wink:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

I think, his accent in Defiance was supposed to be Polish.

Anyway, I guess, it doesn't make a big difference for us, just that its a little tricky always to get it halfway right.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

purple

Post by purple »

Alina wrote: Why can't he be a UK-born American attorney?
Exactly. Besides he was allowed to speak with his normal British accent in TGWTDT when he was supposed to be Swedish.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

purple wrote:
Alina wrote: Why can't he be a UK-born American attorney?
Exactly. Besides he was allowed to speak with his normal British accent in TGWTDT when he was supposed to be Swedish.
but he got a lot of criticism for that. Poor guy can't win either way.
purple

Post by purple »

On the other hand, I think it is quite silly to make an English speaking movie with an accent of the place where it takes place. Either you use the language of that place, either plain English, but English with an accent is beyond my understanding.

In that case they should have made Di Caprio as Louis XIV speak English with a French accent, Taylor as Cleopatra speak with an Egyptian accent (whatever that might have been) and so on. Or the whole Rome cast speak with a Latin accent (again whatever that might have been).

In this sense, I didn't get the fact that in Defiance they spoke English with a Russian accent: why? what was I suppose to think? that I was watching the real Tuvia and his brothers who tried to learn English to make it easier for the world to understand their story? :roll:

I will accept a reservation when it comes to different areas in the UK (the North part for ex) or in the US (the South). But if they go in more depth than that, I think it is pretty useless. As a non-native speaker I cannot tell a NY accent from a Boston one for ex.

Sorry I hope I do not sound too harsh...I just want to hear DC speak with his normal elegant British English and his normal husky voice.
Alina

Post by Alina »

Germangirl wrote:I think, his accent in Defiance was supposed to be Polish.

Anyway, I guess, it doesn't make a big difference for us, just that its a little tricky always to get it halfway right.
Yes, you are right, Bielski was a Polish Jew who lived in Belarus. To me all the accent thing in Defiance was pretty confusing. However, Daniel's accent in Defiance sounded definitely Eastern European, could be either Polish or Russian. There's of course a difference in accents between Polish and Russian, but it is diminished when someone tries to imitate either of them speaking English or another language. And as I said, the parts he spoke Russian were understandable, but one could tell immediately that the speaker was not Russian or even Polish.

Back to work. :(
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

I suspect the whole accent thing is purely for the British and US audiences, who tend to expect it. There was outrage when Kevin Costner played Robin Hood with an American accent. Sean Connery's Irish-American cop in the Untouchables sounded strange with a Scottish accent, although tbh because he was brilliant in the role people tended to forgive him.
If Daniel is playing an American character, I would expect him to sound American. And if it's important that the character comes from a certain region, it should be a regional accent.
In the UK, accents vary widely. I can tell whether someone comes from Cardiff or the Valleys 20 miles away from there, for instance. Someone from NE Wales sounds almost Scouse, but if you drive 50 miles West the accent would be a very clipped, nasal Welsh accent.
It hadn't occurred to me that non-English speakers don't really give a damn about the accent!
purple

Post by purple »

:D well we don't...for instance if they had spoken BBC English in Our Friends in the North it would have been quite all right for me. But I understand that being a British drama, intended primarily for UK audience, it was an important aspect.

Of course I care about authenticity but if the settings and the costumes are good, then I am fine. I am far more interested in having a good script and good actors for the parts...

But CockH can you tell the different accents in the US (other than the very obvious Southern one which probably has a zilion variants I cannot detect)?
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

I am not particularly knowledgeable on American accents but I can definitely distinguish New York from Texas, California or Chicago, I guess. Canadian is also slightly different - although I wouldn't know enough to be able to tell what part of Canada someone was from (unless they spoke French!).
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Germangirl wrote:Oh boy, do they really have to do a different accent for every damn city?
I mean, are the Americans even capable to distinguish between them? I doubt it, unless you are from that city, of course. But those are few compared to the whole world, who wouldn't know.
Yes we can distinguish between them. I can tell if someone is from Boston, down south, New York, out west. For whatever reason certain areas pronounce the vowel, syllables differently. Some states have a twang to their tone. Some areas don't even pronounce certain letters. For example, Massachusetts usually don't pronounce the letter "r" at the end if the word. Like "car" is pronounced "ca". "Boston" is pronounced "baston". I think it just makes the movie more real or believable if he sounds like where he is supposed to be from. So yes we are capable.
CockHargreaves

Post by CockHargreaves »

purple wrote::D well we don't...for instance if they had spoken BBC English in Our Friends in the North it would have been quite all right for me. But I understand that being a British drama, intended primarily for UK audience, it was an important aspect.
In the case of OFITN, a BBC accent would have sounded ridiculously inappropriate. We've discussed class before - a BBC accent isn't associated with the working classes who were depicted in the series. The Conservative MP stood out because of her very well spoken voice.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks Dee Dee. Maybe it was a silly question anyway, as us Germans do it too. There is a huge difference between North and South and certain other parts and we are much much smaller.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

purple

Post by purple »

Yes, I understand that CockH and from this point of view it makes perfect sense. It is just that for me such nuances are less important...I would have probably enjoyed the movie to the same extent regardless of the accent.

But I understand that for a British viewer such things make a huge difference.