Othello

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Wonderfully written indeed :D Thanks
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

CheekyNandos

Post by CheekyNandos »

He stopped and signed for us!! I'll explain later once we stop drinking and I get some sleep :) :)!
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

CheekyNandos wrote:He stopped and signed for us!! I'll explain later once we stop drinking and I get some sleep :) :)!
Yay!!....well done! :D
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

:cheer: :dance2:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

SilverDragon

Post by SilverDragon »

Woop well done!! :D
CheekyNandos

Post by CheekyNandos »

So last night after our show on Broadway we just thought 'why not' and that we'd try after a showing of Othello to nab Daniel.

We got there an hour early so we walked around to keep warm. When he was due to come out there was only around ten of us (including the German lady who lingers these forums, hey!) And I was right first in the queue by the railings.

Soon as he came out I was really positive... "Hi, Daniel! Please can I have your autograph?" and he looked at me and said "Of course you can, my lovely!" he signed for me and my friend (from other posts who saw Othello / the new york fest) was standing beside me. I said "please can you do my best friends too?" and he said "of course I can!"

He took my pen (which is really my friends) And signed everyone else's autograph. One guy asked for a picture to which he said "no, not tonight, I'm too ugly." in a very charming, joking manner. It was a nice, innovative and gracious way to say no certainly.

Then when he was finished he said whose pen is this? Then spotted me, handed it back with "here you go"... Wished us all a Merry Christmas and a good night and off he went!

He was wearing his beanie and the snow coat from a few days ago. He was in good spirits and was happy with the fans. His voice was hoarse from the performance but other than that he was very, very sweet to those that waited in the cold for him.

I don't have a pic of him but I have one of my playbill. I'll show you all when I get home :).

Sorry to the German lady who spoke to me again if I seemed dazed. I was literally star struck! I didn't expect any of this to happen and usually I wouldn't meet a hero of mine. It was a great end to the trip. Afterwards we went back to my hotel and drank beer until 3am to celebrate.

Tonight I (weather permitting) fly home. Merry Xmas guys!!
Jana66

Post by Jana66 »

@Cheeky,
lucky you! Thank you for sharing this wonderful moments. You will have this forever!
PAMELA BRAMMER

Othello

Post by PAMELA BRAMMER »

So glad you and your friend got to meet him and that your trip ended on a positive note.

Have a lovely christmas and a safe trip home :D
Never regret anything that makes you smile!
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Maria

Post by Maria »

CheekyNandos wrote:Afterwards we went back to my hotel and drank beer until 3am to celebrate.
Congratulations Cheeky! :cheer:

I've been catching up, reading first that you wee not able to attend, then how BA worked it out and you could attend, front row matinee!, then back to stage door and get to meet him. Happy Christmas indeed!

Safe travels home.

Thank you for your reviews.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Ron Howard â€￾@RealRonHoward 5h5 hours ago
We went 2nite & were blown away Othello at New York Theater Workshop

AGJ! â€￾@ArmandoGJR 5h5 hours ago
When a production leaves you motionless and breathless! 😱 OUTSTANDING night at @NYTW79! #OthelloNYTW
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Ron Howard, who was among those who screwed up C&A. Maybe some of these guys remember, how good he actually is and give him a decent Job. I have the feeling, he will get some offers out of this .

Maria

Post by Maria »

Germangirl wrote:Ron Howard, who was among those who screwed up C&A. Maybe some of these guys remember, how good he actually is and give him a decent Job. I have the feeling, he will get some offers out of this .
I agree. Seeing him up close on stage by such directors and those in the industry must help them now realize he has the talent. (They could have just paid more attention...or maybe asked us.)
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Thoughts on New York Theater Workshop's Othello

https://unseenfilms.blogspot.co.uk/2016 ... hopss.html

Steve Kopian â€￾@unseenfilms 2h2 hours ago
My thoughts on @NYTW79's production of Othello with David Oyelowo and Daniel Craig https://unseenfilms.blogspot.com/2016/1 ... hopss.html …
Last edited by cassandra on Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Thank you Cassandra for posting this review.

Wish we could all go to see Othello.

Here is the text via the link you posted:

Unseen Films
A collection of reviews of films from off the beaten path; a travel guide for those who love the cinematic world and want more than the mainstream releases.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016
Thoughts on New York Theater Workshop's Othello

Spurred on by Shaun Clark’s excellent short NECK AND NECK which condensed Shakespeare Othello down to around 6 minutes I decided to try and see Daniel Craig and David Oyelowo in Othello at New York Theater Workshop. The decision was made partly to see how the play compared to the short, but also because I wanted to see what the two stars did with their roles.

What the star did with their roles was tear down the house. As good as they are in film roles both are better stage actors, especially where they have material that allows them to really emote and take charge. We need to give them more roles where they can physically attack one another and roll around on the floor. That is not a joke, the last act battle between the two men is truly gripping and makes me hope that in the future the two men can play enemies on the big screen

The setting for the play is a military barracks. Its all ply wood and hardware from Home Depot. The set is dressed with stuff from the army navy store. There is a real sense that you are there in the thick of things.The audience is on three sides of the stage in stadium seating. Mattresses and other barracks material are on the floor. All the lighting is natural, Lamps on stage, on the barracks seiling, or flash lights & head lamps. Some scenes take place in near blackness (an effect that will be lost should the play transfer to any sort of larger theater-and forget this working in a traditional one). We are close and in their space, allowing Oyelowo and Craig to really talk to the audience. When they address the audience, they are talking to each one of us, they are making us all co-conspirators.

While this is probably as a good a production as we are likely to ever see there are some bits that don’t quite work as well as others. Some of the early dialog gets lost in large space. Matthew Maher as Rodrigo, comes off as too much a fool with the result that we feel nothing when he meets a bad end. The biggest problem is a bump in Oyelowo’s Othello who goes from all around good guy to a man crazed with jealousy in an instant. There is no slow change, he simply chooses to believe that Desdemona is cheating and plots her demise. While the performance is excellent the lack of shading diminishes the character because we don't know how such a loving person can hate so quickly.

Ultimately none of that matters because Craig and Oyelowo are so forceful, so inviting, so (fill in you favorite rave term) that nothing matters anywhere along the way. We are seeing all of natures fury on stage and nothing can stand in the way. If this was a film they would win Oscars.If it were Broadway they would either end up sharing the Tony or end up fighting to death for it.

Peter Gutiérrez who went with me to the show said this was probably the best version of the play he’s ever seen. The audience, who you could feel waiting to explode with joy and cheers, was on its feet with thunderous applause as soon as it was done. Several people joked they would have loved an encore but how could they encore (perhaps doing Hamlet or Lear?) when they pretty much dismantled themselves emotionally and left it all on the stage.

It’s a great show and if you can grab some tickets I suggest you do so. Its’s so good that when I was trying to go to bed after the performance I ended up on the phone with Alec Kubas-Meyer at 130 am trying to help him pick out seats.

Yes it's that good.