Quantum of Solace

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

montana

Post by montana »

thank you redluna for the pic on bond 22 thread....i've just checked out the newspaper and there it is the pic too! ;) , here's the article

original size: http://www.sendspace.com/file/s8yyb6

resized:
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Montana, could you give a short translation? PLEASE!
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

redluna

Post by redluna »

Germangirl wrote:Montana, could you give a short translation? PLEASE!
I used google to translated it: http://translate.google.com/translate?u ... e&ie=UTF-8
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Thanks Red :D
Looks like there was a hell of a lot harrassment by the press. :x

I think he generally likes people and his fans, but having to change hotels 5 times in Panama will have pissed him really off and so he tries to put a stop to it alltogether. I can understand this, but naturally many people won´t and the press has already painted him as the moody one.
That might be his major weakness, that he isn´t willing to give himself to the public 24 hours a day. :evil:

Good to hear though, that he was at his best during the press conference. :D
Last edited by Germangirl on Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Anglophile

Post by Anglophile »

Elaine_Figgis wrote:
Dunda wrote:
Elaine_Figgis wrote: That's right, he did dance in Road... Smarty Pants!
and how could I forget Hotel Splendide (kinda afterplay :twisted: :oops: )
Very true, we should be ashamed!
If I'm not mistaken, there was some dancing in Love and Rage as well.
The more joy we have, the more nearly perfect we are. ~Spinoza~
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

Anglophile wrote:
Elaine_Figgis wrote:
Dunda wrote: and how could I forget Hotel Splendide (kinda afterplay :twisted: :oops: )
Very true, we should be ashamed!
If I'm not mistaken, there was some dancing in Love and Rage as well.
Wow, we really aren't paying attention... are we? :shock:
Crazy!
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

I don't know whether this has already been posted (looks pretty cool 8) :

A Chilean Lair For "Solace" Villain

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/080326i.php

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

All in German I am afraid

http://www.the007generation.de/22blog/

Faustine

Post by Faustine »

I could not have read everything what you have put in this thread but there is something that is called me deeply my attention.

There is no press more disgustingly complaisent with the english men that the Chilean one, because of it, is so showy the scorn with which they speak about Daniel specifically.

Something has passed that I do not stop understanding what is.

I understand that they are annoyed because they are going to film to his country but does not attend to the local press.

The tales about the bad character and the gestures of prima donna of DC run as water here and in Chile, they are true? It´s probable enough, also it is probable that the look is deformed by the rejection towards the english men.

The foreigners in zones so poor as Atacama tend not to have respect as the villagers. I know that I am not clear, but only being a Latin American it is possible to understand what I say.

Here they dare to have attitudes that in Europe would not dare. The idea of that everything fixes up with money (the minor possible quantity but given as if it was a great donation) is very common.

There is something more that my friend looking at some photos he made me notice .... wherefrom does Bond escape in the small boat? Is in the sea? Bolivia does not have gone out for the sea..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
We convince ourselves that we know the other person well, but do we really know anything important about anyone.

6. Say what I’m thinking
Daniel_Craig

Post by Daniel_Craig »

Last edited by Daniel_Craig on Sat May 07, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Here are some musings from a Chilenian CBN member
The "nationalistic concerns" stem from the notion that Chile and Bolivia aren't exactly bosom buddies; the Bolivians are still smarting over losing a section of land to Chile - the same section QUANTUM OF SOLACE is currently filming in - over a hundred years ago. They're not the best of friends, but parts of Chile are being used to stand in for Bolivia in the film, which a lot of Chileans don't seem to like. They seem to be of the idea that Bond should either visit Chile or visit Bolivia, and not have one stand in for the other. But I don't think anyone told the Chileans that Bolivia is an integral part of the film's plot, and if they want to issue stupid "one or the other" ultimatums to the film crew, Craig, Foster and everyone involved will go to Bolivia.

It's a bit more complicated than that. Latin Americans in general (especially us Chileans) have very fragile cultural identity and are always scrutinizing foreigners to confirm that everybody underestimates us. Everything becomes an insult to our national pride, etc, so QoS being set in Bolivia but shot in Chile is unacceptable as it is, of course, the first time in film history a location has doubled for a country that cannot be used. Between this and obsessing about football championships we can safely avoid issues such as poverty, illiteracy, dictatorship, etc.
The firts QoS press release failed to mention two things: the name of the Latin American country Bond travels to and the Chilean shoot, even though the latter had been arranged months before. US-financed films usually do not mention Latin American countries in an unflattering fiction. Unlike LTK, where a fictional Latin American country was created (a rather tacky device, if you ask me, and one that makes itdifficult for me to get into a movie: I'm told from day one what I'm watching could never be real), QoS includes a corrupt military officer (how shocking, everybody should know by now military are uncorruptable patriots) involved in some sort of coup. Eon knew it couldn't shoot in Bolivia just like DAD couldn't have been shot in Korea, north or otherwise. They also knew the less specific their press release, the later Bolivians and Chileans would start bitching about the shoot. So far, the press here have stressed Craig's abnormal obsession with privacy (he's a thing against Chile, you know) and blown an incident where he took a towel from a gym completely out of proportion.
The funny thing is, northern Chileans do look like Bolivians and are indeed racially from the same origin. However, Chileans perceive ourselves to be "whiter" than other Latin Americans and hence the ultimate insult!

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Faustine wrote:I could not have read everything what you have put in this thread but there is something that is called me deeply my attention.

There is no press more disgustingly complaisent with the english men that the Chilean one, because of it, is so showy the scorn with which they speak about Daniel specifically.

Something has passed that I do not stop understanding what is.

I understand that they are annoyed because they are going to film to his country but does not attend to the local press.

The tales about the bad character and the gestures of prima donna of DC run as water here and in Chile, they are true? It´s probable enough, also it is probable that the look is deformed by the rejection towards the english men.

The foreigners in zones so poor as Atacama tend not to have respect as the villagers. I know that I am not clear, but only being a Latin American it is possible to understand what I say.

Here they dare to have attitudes that in Europe would not dare. The idea of that everything fixes up with money (the minor possible quantity but given as if it was a great donation) is very common.

There is something more that my friend looking at some photos he made me notice .... wherefrom does Bond escape in the small boat? Is in the sea? Bolivia does not have gone out for the sea..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Faustine, from what I understand in those articles ( I translatesd a few words to get an idea) he´s got very bad press over there, that had to do with his fierce - maybe too fierce, protection of his privacy. Now, I don´t know about the south american mentality (you know better), but maybe they chased him a bit too much and drove him over the edge, because he is just NOT willing to be available to the public/press 24 hours a day. He was and is known so far to have ZERO attitude (Taubman, a henchman character, even refers to it clearly during a recent interview http://commanderbond.net/article/4943 (at the end) - so if there was any prima donna behavior, there must have been situations, we don´t know of, that were really bad for him. I think he makes a very clear separation between the public work, he HAS to do (he was reported to be very nice during that press conference) and his private life. I feel, he has made that decision to play the game to his conditions, which will probably or surely give him bad press at times during all of his career. But then, he is in that long enough to know, what he is doing and surely, if you give the press or the public your little finger ,LOL, they will always come back for both your arms...
Last edited by Germangirl on Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:28 am, edited 4 times in total.

funnlim

Post by funnlim »

Jag lag, tired, hectic schedule, I wouldn't be surprised one bit he wasn't as friendly or co-operative with the press whom he already never liked in the 1st place.

That story about that 1 day off, now that I am sure is not true. He is a professional, an actor who knows how much one missed day of filming will cost. It just means probably he wasn't needed on that day so he took some time off for some R&R.

As for that 3 changes of clothes, well maybe clothe 1 had holes, clothe 2 had stain and clothe 3 was just good? He does have an image to take care of. He got to look his best.

That passport thing, well sometimes just because you ask doesn't mean you get. The fact he and I am sure the whole crew were given such a special treatment meant he was a special guest. Immigration works in a funny way, they have their own rules and just because a big shot said I want this doesn't mean he can have it. Overblown story if you ask me.

Any pictures of that R&R day?
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

funnlim wrote:
As for that 3 changes of clothes, well maybe clothe 1 had holes, clothe 2 had stain and clothe 3 was just good? He does have an image to take care of. He got to look his best.
This seems to me the least true - because when they had the immigration check in the plane, all they had to do was get out - through the terminal and to the waiting cars. The changing was said to be in the terminal. Not quite possible, really and there is a climpse of him in the car afterwards, where he is wearing the same clothes.

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Daniel_Craig wrote:Who can translate this? It reports from protests against Bond. :?

The file in original size for download:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/504fqp
From the Mirror

James Bond angers Chile by filming Quantum of Solace in Bolivia
31/03/2008

James Bond has left the locals in South America shaken after stirring up bitter old rivalries on the set of his latest film.
Daniel Craig's outing as 007 in Quantum of Solace sees him visit Bolivia - but it is being filmed in neighbouring Chile.
The problem is the well-off Chileans look down on the poorer Bolivians and were outraged to see Bolivian flags and uniforms in the city of Antofagasta.
Antofagasta was conquered by Chile in 1879 with Bolivia losing access to the sea and they have been bitter enemies since.
A protest in a local paper read: "Chile is Chile. We aren't Bolivian indians. Imperialist British out."
As filming started, Bolivian militants skirmished with Chilean frontier guards.
007 producers said: "We concluded that Chile didn't serve in the plot and opted for Bolivia."
Antofagasta mayor Daniel Adaro added: "They are filming in Chile because it's more modern."
Print this