Dream House - news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

I'm sad about this rumoured mess.....this is one I was really looking forward to. :cry:
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

If they can't find time for reshoots , it might be direct to video . He hasn't had one of those yet .
Vanquish

Post by Vanquish »

Germangirl wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:What we’ve heard from our sources who’ve seen it, is that the current version of Dream House is kind of a mess. Specifically they say the ending of the movie is given away at the beginning of the film, and that Naomi Watts’ character is basically pointless

That's exactly what a poster on Imdb said, after seeing the screening back in July. I noticed that his post was deleted a couple of weeks ago.
He said, it was decent, but no more and slammed Noomis acting. He probably was right and somehow, I wished, this film wouldn't be released at all. I don't think a film, who is considered a mess can be saved by some reshoots. Question is - why did all these A-list actors and director got involved? The script must have been good - so how does it end being a mess - a predictable mess?
It already has a bad smell following it now and we know, what happened to Invasion - same story...

Somehow you can't help but wonder, how things like this happen. Bad directing? Or did all three main actors fail to read the script correctly? Somehow this is hard to believe.
I think the truth of the matter is that the film gained unwarranted attention.
Jim Sheridan, who is a big renown director who actors really really want to work with, I mean he is the man who is credited with making Daniel Day Lewis the talent he is today. But sadly Jim isnt all he used to be, and tends to do lesser movies these days (Get Rich or Die Tryin' anyone?). Daniel Craig likely wanted to work with Jim becuase of how renown the director regardless of the film was a little weak, and more talent will easily join the movie as the chance to work with Craig and Sherdian is too good to turn down regardless of the film's strengths. This is a common story with big name directors in Hollywood
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Aman wrote: I think the truth of the matter is that the film gained unwarranted attention.
Jim Sheridan, who is a big renown director who actors really really want to work with, I mean he is the man who is credited with making Daniel Day Lewis the talent he is today. But sadly Jim isnt all he used to be, and tends to do lesser movies these days (Get Rich or Die Tryin' anyone?). Daniel Craig likely wanted to work with Jim becuase of how renown the director regardless of the film was a little weak, and more talent will easily join the movie as the chance to work with Craig and Sherdian is too good to turn down regardless of the film's strengths. This is a common story with big name directors in Hollywood
You might have a point there, because he certainly is as much interested in the director as he is in the story, BUT he should recognize a weak script and stay away from it.

The topic of this film has been slammed from the start, as it has been done so many times already and people feared, nothing new can be added. I dunno, if that is right or wrong, but it surely isn't the most interesting story line...would love to know, what attracted all the talent to it.

Having said that - maybe there still is a chance to save it. It can't be all bad. Cut the bad, redo it and mix it with the good.
Probably not how it works :(
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

calypso

Post by calypso »

Germangirl wrote:
Aman wrote: I think the truth of the matter is that the film gained unwarranted attention.
You might have a point there, because he certainly is as much interested in the director as he is in the story, BUT he should recognize a weak script and stay away from it.

The topic of this film has been slammed from the start, as it has been done so many times already and people feared, nothing new can be added. I dunno, if that is right or wrong, but it surely isn't the most interesting story line...would love to know, what attracted all the talent to it.

Having said that - maybe there still is a chance to save it. It can't be all bad. Cut the bad, redo it and mix it with the good.
I agree with most but many times films "read better" than when they
actually film. Actors have to have courage to put so much faith in directors and that is what Daniel has done here with Sheridon especially based on "Brothers" doing so well. Leap of faith even when you act as well as Daniel, not one actor can support a possible sinking ship. But it will not effect Daniel, he ahs other films coming out in same year, that will work to his advantage and I can possibly see Daniel maybe not being up to attending this premiere maybe due to "other commitments" which will not be lie, it probably will be true. so we see how much studio invests in promoting this film too.
ImageImage
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

calypso wrote:
Germangirl wrote:

actually film. Actors have to have courage to put so much faith in directors and that is what Daniel has done here with Sheridon especially based on "Brothers" doing so well. Leap of faith even when you act as well as Daniel, not one actor can support a possible sinking ship. But it will not effect Daniel, he ahs other films coming out in same year, that will work to his advantage and I can possibly see Daniel maybe not being up to attending this premiere maybe due to "other commitments" which will not be lie, it probably will be true. so we see how much studio invests in promoting this film too.
If it is indeed a bad film, I hope, it just goes unnoticed and won't be attached to his name too much. Its always a gamble and you never know the outcome, but I sure hope, the big 3 (C&A, Tattoo and Bond) will work in his favour, including an Oscar nom for Tattoo...
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

calypso

Post by calypso »

Germangirl wrote:
calypso wrote:
Germangirl wrote: You might have a point there, because he certainly is as much interested in the director as he is in the story, BUT he should recognize a weak script and stay away from it.

If it is indeed a bad film, I hope, it just goes unnoticed and won't be attached to his name too much. Its always a gamble and you never know the outcome, but I sure hope, the big 3 (C&A, Tattoo and Bond) will work in his favour, including an Oscar nom for Tattoo...
si, i can see him getting his first Oscar nod for tattoo.
ImageImage
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Interview with Brian Murry about Dream House and other projects...you can read the whole interview by clicking on the link...have only posted the short snippet which concerns Daniel and Dream House.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BW ... E_20100916

PC: Tell me about the new movies you have in the can.

BM: I have a new movie coming, I'm don't know when it's coming out.

PC: Who are you acting in it with?

BM: Daniel Craig.

PC: Oh, no way! James Bond!

BM: Yeah.

PC: He's also such a great stage actor. Of course, he just did A STEADY RAIN with Hugh Jackman last season on Broadway.

BM: Yes, he's great.

PC: But, my favorite performance of his was in A NUMBER by Caryl Churchill.

BM: Oh, really? He was in that?

PC: I'm assuming you are familiar with Churchill and the play.

BM: Oh, of course.

PC: He was in the original production as the first son/clone.

BM: Where? In London?

PC: The Fringe.

BM: Oh, I didn't know that!

PC: Did you have a good time working with him?

BM: Oh, yeah. I don't know how it will turn out ultimately. It was directed by Jim Sheriden.

PC: Oh, he's a great director - MY LEFT FOOT and BROTHERS.

BM: Jim Sheridan is a brilliant, brilliant director.

PC: What's the gist of the story?

BM: It's a chiller.

PC: Oh, really. So, is it like SLEUTH?

BM: No, it's not quite like SLEUTH. It's a chiller, not a thriller. It's about madness and murder.

PC: Oh, like a dark drama, with a horror edge!

BM: Yeah. It's an adult chiller, too, you know?

PC: So, the script is well-written.

BM: Oh, yes.

PC: So, you loved working on the film with Sheridan and Craig?

BM: Oh yeah, but I don't know what to think of it because I'm not very good at thinking about films, but it's coming out soon.

PC: It sounds like it is going to be great! How exciting.

BM: Yes, it is.

PC: Starring in the new Albee play with grand dame Liz Ashley, going toe to toe with Daniel Craig on screen: you're at the top of your game, Mr. Murray!

BM: Thanks so much. I've really enjoyed this.

Read more: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BW ... z0zjREiOw2
calypso

Post by calypso »

http://links.visibli.com/links/9a0696

"What we’ve heard from our sources who’ve seen it, is that the current version of Dream House is kind of a mess. Specifically they say the mystery is predictable and made even more so by Naomi Watts' character, who's fairly secondary anyway. Our source says, "Craig and Weisz try their best but they are working with weak material, which is a predicable mess and some of the other acting, which ranges from slumming it to down right being laughably bad." Presumably these are some of the things they wanted to fix with reshoots, but if they can’t do that, then what Universal’s left with is a bad movie which would have to compete with another movie with the same premise which maybe isn’t bad. Why bother to release it? At least that’s the question I’d be asking right now if I were Universal.

Right now Dream House is slated for a February 18, 2011 release date. It’ll be interesting to see if they stick with it."

If they do then Daniel will be in Sweden too busy to promote this I think
ImageImage
Elaine_Figgis
Administrator

Post by Elaine_Figgis »

Can you say 'Direct to DVD'?
Crazy!
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Laredo wrote: Fincher is doing TGWTDT , Sheriden is DH , why is Fincher in doo doo?
My bad. I typed the wrong director :cry: .. I was referring to Sheriden.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Elaine_Figgis wrote:Can you say 'Direct to DVD'?
Would be best probably. The fewer people see it the better it is... :(

Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Half the stuff Pierce and Liam do go direct to dvd .
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Laredo wrote:Half the stuff Pierce and Liam do go direct to dvd .
and some of them hit the theaters and you just wish they never did :lol: :lol: :lol:

I watched Clash of the Titans and it was awful, couldn't be saved by the good actors :wink:

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

I will be miffed if it goes straight to DVD.....I so wanted to see that floppy hound fringe on the big silver screen. :cry: