THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO news and tidbits

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

khenton wrote:I think the violence inherent in the TATToo books is secondary to the characters or should be. That is what makes the melodrama acceptable. It is a sign of the times that filmmakers often feel the need to spell or show it all. But for me if the foundation is there for the violence in characterization and the filmmaker isn't doing the slasher thing then it makes sense. "Seven" was a toughy to watch but the acting, the writing and atmosphere saved the movie from being totally unwatchable.

So the tatto books have for me the selling point of macabre sex, violence and murder but enough characterization and social points (Lisbeth's eventual freedom from victumhood--such a word!) to make it understandable why they are selling so well. I read them all in one fell swoop and paid for the hardcover third novel. I was that hooked. K.

P.s. I didn't care for law abiding citz. Too much and over the top.

I apologize I am nothing if not opinionated. K.
I agree with you K.

Also, I don't think Daniel would shy away from any of that providing it was integral to the story and the film. He's done all three of those things (macabre sex, violence and murder) and more in his career, and I think it's helped him rather than hurt him.

Very few actors have his range of abilities, and the fact he can carry it off so convincingly holds the audiences attention.

If violence and sex are needed, he'll do and he'll do it out the ball park.
bubita

Post by bubita »

no needless to say :stick_iagree:
Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

calypso wrote:any members of dtd live in sweden? :-k
Not sure, but I live two hrs drive from the border.
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
calypso

Post by calypso »

http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/arch ... ver/60732/
I think the debate over which lovely young starlet will end up playing Lisbeth Salander in the remake of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and thus likely end up launched on a significant American movie career, illustrates why the remake is a poor idea in the first place.

I've read the first book in Stieg Larsson's trilogy, and while I didn't much like it, there were things about it that I admired. I am of the camp that believes that his depictions of sexual violence against women were slightly too prurient to be useful acts of illustration or witness. But I admired the severity of the book, the coldness of the landscape, the implacability of history, the badness of the people, and the fact that Larsson has got millions of Americans reading a book that essentially argues that capitalism is inherently rapacious and leads to acts of gender violence. It's a fairly impressive trick.

But I also think that if those books carried over the cold Atlantic so well in their pure form that it's a bit unfortunate to try to translate the movie versions, even if the translator will be David Fincher. And I have some qualms about upping the star quotient involved. Perhaps they'll be a reminder that before he was James Bond, Daniel Craig was a remarkably protean actor. And perhaps whoever is cast as Lisbeth will vanish into the unpleasant (though not without cause, of course), anti-social nature of the character rather than turning Lisbeth sweet enough for American palates and the actress's good looks. But I rather fear on that score. David Fincher's never been particularly afraid of showing us violence, though he often makes the victims or the people who commit the acts rather pretty. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is a stern, often unattractive book about people who are often somewhat unattractive in their unwillingness to compromise. It doesn't need prettification. It needs commitment.
ImageImage
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

calypso wrote:http://www.theatlantic.com/culture/arch ... ver/60732/

Perhaps they'll be a reminder that before he was James Bond, Daniel Craig was a remarkably protean actor.
I am so hoping that this will be the role which will make the press leave Bond behind.

It would be magic, in a couple of years time, for the press to say "Daniel Craig, star of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".
cornell01

Post by cornell01 »

I had to look up "protean."
calypso

Post by calypso »

JEC57 wrote:

Perhaps they'll be a reminder that before he was James Bond, Daniel Craig was a remarkably protean actor.
I am so hoping that this will be the role which will make the press leave Bond behind.

It would be magic, in a couple of years time, for the press to say "Daniel Craig, star of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo".
si, i agree. this role i think more than any other is the one that holds the key to that
cornell01 wrote:I had to look up "protean."
si me too :lol: it mean versatile. i know now.
ImageImage
calypso

Post by calypso »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100802/ap_ ... eg_larsson

NEW YORK – Arriving in time for Christmas: the Stieg Larsson boxed set.

The late Swedish author's multimillion-selling Millennium trilogy will be released in a cased set Nov. 26. It will feature hardcovers of "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" and its two successors, a collection of essays about Larsson and e-mails between Larsson and his editor in Sweden.

The release was announced Monday by publisher Alfred A. Knopf. The set has a list price of $99.

The trilogy stars a tattooed computer hacker and journalist who get entangled in murder mysteries, sex trafficking scandals and secret government units. More than 30 million copies of the books have been sold worldwide, including 50,000 copies a day in the United States.
ImageImage
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Aragorn wrote:
calypso wrote:any members of dtd live in sweden? :-k
Not sure, but I live two hrs drive from the border.
I was wondering the same thing . They mght join here when the movie comes out . They will google im and dtod will come up .

Just finished the movie . The girl gets beat up pretty badly twice , but hardly as much Angie did in Salt . The brutal sex might be toned down a bit . I don't think they will sweeten up the girl for the US . I wich they would try Ann Hathaway , she did a movie ...forget the name where she played semi good girl who is doing bad things and I could see her doing this . Christina Ricci too . Can someone put pics of the girls in the running ? I don't like Kiera much but she might have done well , she gets too many good parts as it is . She sure is boney enough . The actress said in the extras how she lost weight for the part to look more manly or tough not girly . I think they will cut stuff because the movie was 2 1/2 hrs . Lved the scenery , the snow the sky , hope they film in the same spots . His eyes would look good with the background . They had to choose DC . The guy in the movie was a less pretty version of DC . Poor DC will be stuck in a chair again ...
calypso

Post by calypso »

http://thefilmstage.com/2010/08/02/finc ... oins-list/
Casting for the role of Lisbeth Salander in David Fincher‘s US-adaptation of Stieg Larsson’s The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is starring to narrow after a lengthy search, with further testing of six actresses said to have taken place over the past weekend (Deadline).

While testing has been carried out before now, this time the hopefuls reportedly read across from Daniel Craig, already cast in the lead male role as journalist Mikael Blomqvist, whilst in full make-up and wardrobe, which suggests the six who tested will be the final shortlist. No confirmation of who the six were has been revealed as yet, but they were thought to be out of these seven: Ellen Page (Inception), Emily Browning (Sucker Punch), Mia Wasikowska (Alice in Wonderland), Sarah Snook (Sleeping Beauty), Rooney Mara (The Social Network), Sophie Lowe (Blame) and Lea Seydoux (Robin Hood). Another name said to be in contention is Fish Tank‘s Katie Jarvis, but she wouldn’t be among the others testing at the weekend.

With hype over Larsson’s trilogy reaching Dan Brown levels, the world has been watching eagerly to see who will take the coveted role. Having personally finished the book a few days ago myself, I can see why the role has been contested so fiercely. Salander is a complex, strong female protagonist, the likes of which in cinema are few and far between. While I lament at the fact that Carey Mulligan is not in the list above, the rest have the required talent to make the role their own.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Katie-Ja ... 19932.html

ImageImage
khenton

Post by khenton »

Remember, and I hate to admit this because I lived through part of those years, Sean Connery bit the bullett, acted his shorts off and now being Bond glows on his resume. An actor is nothing if not a sum of all his parts. The good, the bad and the inglorious. Even if the remake of TAT is not a good idea or even very successful. It will only be another notch on DC belt. He will have succeeded in what he and real actor always seem to have in common. They want to act for a living and seem to be doing so. Tom Hanks once said about making that movies where he was marooned (I am going to mangle this but the essence is there) that he was very fortunate to have the chance to indulge in making movies and we the audience were kind enough to go and see them. So I'd be surprised if the Amer TAT goes all three movies but you never know. I have a feeling it will come off like enduring love. That was based on a wopper of a book and failed in the translation. Not a slight to the actors or anything but it didn't resonate like the book. Can't shut her (ME) up. K.
Damn. No future with Daniel Craig.Image
Fourwordsbeforesex "Hello, I'm Daniel Craig."
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JEC57 wrote:

Actually I would like to see no movie attached to his name at all. Just plein Daniel Craig, like its plein George C. Brad P or J. Depp. But they are out there much longer, so lets give him so time... :wink:
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

Germangirl wrote:
JEC57 wrote:I am so hoping that this will be the role which will make the press leave Bond behind.

Actually I would like to see no movie attached to his name at all. Just plein Daniel Craig, like its plein George C. Brad P or J. Depp. But they are out there much longer, so lets give him so time... :wink:
Just ignore me .....it's my "love-hate" relationship with Bond rearing it's head again. :wink:
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

JEC57 wrote:
Germangirl wrote:
JEC57 wrote:I am so hoping that this will be the role which will make the press leave Bond behind.

Just ignore me .....it's my "love-hate" relationship with Bond rearing it's head again. :wink:
It will never happen - Sean, Roger, Lazenby and Pierce never shook it. Bond rules JEC :tongue:
JEC57

Post by JEC57 »

bumblebee wrote: It will never happen - Sean, Roger, Lazenby and Pierce never shook it. Bond rules JEC :tongue: