DH reviews (spoiler alert)

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

I go with the alphabet order of names, I know its a hair line difference,
WA WE,
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

tbossmc2000 wrote:I go with the alphabet order of names, I know its a hair line difference,
WA WE,
Yeah, it just seems so wrong, doesn't it? Rachel is definitely the costar, while Naomi is almost like an extra. I guess it's her 'star power' that gives her the creds.
tampa

Post by tampa »

sf2la wrote:Just got home from a private screening of DH. Yes, I am that special. I am the only one in town who chose to see DH at noon today in the theater. It's the first time in my life I've been in a theater alone. It was kind of cool. Oh boy, it would have been a movie pirater's dream.

I can see the plot holes people talk about, but I still like it. It is crazy that Naomi received second billing, but that must have been agreed upon when the characters signed on because Rachel/Libby wasn't originally supposed to be in it as much as she was; she was in a lot of scenes whereas Naomi, just a few.

Critique of Rachel - I'm surprised that some reviewers single her out for having an outstanding performance. I honestly think DC was the far better actor. I am not a fan of Rachel's American accented voice, but I LOVE her normal accented voice. Also note that she slips back into her English accent for one word at scene where she is first introduced. She says, "Give me a briayk" instead of "Give me a break." I'm surprised they didn't fix that in editing. She is the bomb though, and it sure is obvious they have great chemistry.
Good points SF. I also thought her accent kind of went in and out a bit. Her part must have gotten bigger than in the original script because of all of the editing which probably hacked Naomi's part to bits. Also as noted Sheridan's MO of letting the actors ad lib increased Rachel's part. They were so cute together, whose complaining. :) I'd love to see the original cut of this movie. But some of the stuff written implies that it was not so hot, so who knows. It's easy to play the studios for the bad guys, but maybe that's no always the case.

OT: Clooney's new movie bombed with little more than 10 million OW, but as usually, the American press which is in love with him keeps writing how little the film cost. Well, I've been watching 3 million IOM TV commercials the last month, and they ain't free, so that film was not so cheap to make and market. Also Real Steel opened at less than C&A and I think it cost almost as much. The producers claim it cost $110 million, but Deadline comments say closer to $150 which is close to what C&A cost. Bet it won't get the same trashing in the press.

OOT: I've definitely lost the "suit" war. There was a picture of Jackman in today's Parade and he was wearing that same short, skimpy jacket style that I guess is the new in style for guys.
caramel

Post by caramel »

sf2la wrote:Just got home from a private screening of DH. Yes, I am that special. I am the only one in town who chose to see DH at noon today in the theater. It's the first time in my life I've been in a theater alone. It was kind of cool. Oh boy, it would have been a movie pirater's dream.

I can see the plot holes people talk about, but I still like it. It is crazy that Naomi received second billing, but that must have been agreed upon when the characters signed on because Rachel/Libby wasn't originally supposed to be in it as much as she was; she was in a lot of scenes whereas Naomi, just a few.

Critique of Rachel - I'm surprised that some reviewers single her out for having an outstanding performance. I honestly think DC was the far better actor. I am not a fan of Rachel's American accented voice, but I LOVE her normal accented voice. Also note that she slips back into her English accent for one word at scene where she is first introduced. She says, "Give me a briayk" instead of "Give me a break." I'm surprised they didn't fix that in editing. She is the bomb though, and it sure is obvious they have great chemistry.
So funny having a private screening! You had the run of the place; the things you could have got up to, particularly when HHH is on screen :twisted:
I have watched it 2 times so far and I liked it so much better the second time around. I honestly like it better than C&A.

About RW's acting - I think her acting was very much noteworthy in a couple of scenes.
1. When he comes back from Green Haven and realizes his family is all in his mind, they are all sitting at the table and she gets concerned about his fever - she was very authentic there.
2. When he convinces her that their kids are dead and he makes her feel his bullet wound in the head, OMG her expression of guilt, her love and disbelief , her heartbreak - it is all there to see. She is amazing in subtlety as well as passionate portrayal IMO.

tbh, I was never distracted by her American accent and it doesn't sound too contrived. She is better than DC in that for sure
tbossmc2000

Post by tbossmc2000 »

caramel wrote:

So funny having a private screening! You had the run of the place; the things you could have got up to, particularly when HHH is on screen :twisted:
I have watched it 2 times so far and I liked it so much better the second time around. I honestly like it better than C&A.

About RW's acting - I think her acting was very much noteworthy in a couple of scenes.
1. When he comes back from Green Haven and realizes his family is all in his mind, they are all sitting at the table and she gets concerned about his fever - she was very authentic there.
2. When he convinces her that their kids are dead and he makes her feel his bullet wound in the head, OMG her expression of guilt, her love and disbelief , her heartbreak - it is all there to see. She is amazing in subtlety as well as passionate portrayal IMO.

tbh, I was never distracted by her American accent and it doesn't sound too contrived. She is better than DC in that for sure
She does far more movies with an American accent, some of her movies I have seen I wonder why she did do her mornal accent,
BTW, I recently saw Runaway Jury and liked, one of the few movies I liked her in. I love watching how posied she is, so lady like, she is such a class act. Its naturally bread into her genes.
You just can't act it, she has it.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

^ OMG, I never even thought about the stuff I could do to Daniel on the screen. A lot of the time it was just the two of us in the room ALONE TOGETHER :shock: :twisted: :shock: I could have touched his privates :shock: :shock: !

It's not that I think Rachel's American accent is bad; I don't (except for that one word which was 100% Brit-speak.) For some reason, I didn't care for the sound of her voice in about 50% of the movie. I just can't explain it. It wasn't a pleasant voice to listen to. Sometimes it was; sometimes it wasn't. I thought it was fine in The Whistleblower. When she speaks with her natural accent, I think her voice is absolutely heavenly, just like DC's.

I noticed those good acting scenes, too!!!! This time I was really able to focus on things in addition to DC. Maybe that's the secret for me - I need private screenings for DC movies. I'll have to buy out the theater so that I can concentrate on the movie. :)

Oh, and HANDS DOWN I preferred this to C&A. No question.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

‘Dream House’: Daniel Craig is finally crazy

fter transferring to a new job to be with his family, successful magazine editor Will Atenton, played by Daniel Craig, feels like he’s got it made. Spending more time with his family in their new, spacious, New England abode, Atenton’s life seems too good to be true.

And it is.

Turns out, Atenton is not who he thought he was. His real name is Peter Ward. Accused of murdering his family, Ward has been a violent patient at a medical facility for the past five years. His job transfer was really his release due to lack of evidence. Convinced that he didn’t do it, Ward sets out to get to the bottom of this terrible development in his once-perfect life.

“I’ve got to find out who killed my family,” Ward exclaims, when he hears the shocking truth about his identity. “Even if it’s me!”

Set to a dreary landscape of a desolate suburbia in the chill of fall, “Dream House”, opened on Sept. 30, and left audiences wondering and wandering, along with Craig, from scene after scene. Craig’s psychosis, accented by dank and depressing light filters, and complimented by standard eerie strings, makes for an uncomfortably mysterious plot.

At first happy and satisfied with his perfect life, Craig quickly jumps down the emotional totem pole to a depressed, delusional loser that nobody wants around. As he wanders, red-eyed and disheveled through a quiet neighborhood seeking answers, Craig takes audiences to new levels of voyeuristic suspense.

“Dream House” is driven by Craig’s performance. The once-beefy secret agent from the most recent string of James Bond films, Craig diminished his sculpted look and became a scared, hunched and traumatized little man, achieving more range than ever before.

With plot twists abound, and an over-acting supporting cast to bounce hysterics off Craig’s stoic resolve, “Dream House” provided a canvass for the hero to downplay his brawn and finally, with disturbingly realistic results, portray a nut.

source: http://www.washtenawvoice.com/2011/10/d ... lly-crazy/

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

‘Dream House’ ventures away from other films’ beaten path

Over the past few years, a generic cookie-cutter form has taken over the horror film industry, but the new film "Dream House" ventures off the beaten path.

In the beginning of the movie, successful publisher Will Atenton, played by Daniel Craig, is living a seemingly perfect life. After purchasing a new home in a new area with his growing family, it seems there is nothing that can bring this man down.

But when he discovers a group of rebellious teenagers performing cult-like rituals in his basement, he discovers the true history behind the new house – the site of several malicious murders.

The worst part? They find themselves to be the murderer's next targets.

After deep investigation, Atenton discovers the dark truth: He is the murderer, and the family he has held so near and dear throughout the film are hallucinations.

The elements incorporated into this film are far from the ones used in other recent horror films. There aren't many "gotcha" jumpy parts, the gruesomeness isn't there, and the antagonist is rather believable.

You may be thinking, "How can this movie become successful without these seemingly vital elements?"

The reason this movie is successful and is actually scary is due to its believability.

A novelist moving his growing family into a seemingly harmless house only to discover a disturbed past? It could happen.

The local murderer returning to the location to intimidate and target the new inhabitants?

Do you watch CSI, NCIS or even Law & Order? The murderer always comes back to the scene.

In reality, the entire movie seems like a continuation of something I had seen before.

All of a sudden, it hit me. The movie feels almost like a revamped continuation of "Shutter Island" (minus Leonardo DiCaprio) with an actual optimistic outlook for the main character.

Only, while DiCaprio's fantasies were delicately staged by the mental facility, Atenton's fantasies are staged out by his own subconscious and the ability to let go of the death of his wife, Libby, played by Rachel Weisz, and his two daughters, Trish and Dee Dee, played by Taylor Geare and Claire Geare.

Only after he discovers the truth from his neighbor, Ann Patterson, played by Naomi Watts, Atenton knows what must be done.

This movie delivers all the things other recent horror films have been lacking: creativity, new ways to deliver scares and an overall fresh breath of air from the predictable horror films of today.

Even though the plotline does feel a bit like a continuation of "Shutter Island," the initiative taken by the director and production to invent a new angle on horror films is enough to make it worthwhile.

source:http://www.thedaonline.com/a-e/dream-ho ... -1.2639018

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

^Thanks, Dunda! The first review was perfect; the second may even provide all the missing pieces for me...I need to think about it some more.
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Did the second guy see a different version ? I saw it last wk seemed like it was 3 movies mashed together . the 1st part had some suspense and intrigue , you expected something to happen with the ex of Naomi he was so hateful and angry and they drop his story until the end and they rush it . There must of been more with the teens and why would the teen best friend be with them in the house . It was nice to see him so loving . the transition from insane to sane was not clear . Can't believe they thought this version was better .
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Hi Laredo - good to see ya... :D
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Laredo

Post by Laredo »

yeah had computer issues .
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Enter the ‘Dream House’

The psychological thriller, "Dream House", was released Sept. 30 by Universal Pictures and Morgan Creek. The movie stars big-time actors such as Daniel Craig, Rachel Weisz, Naomi Watts, and Elias Koteas.

The storyline sounds simple enough entering the theater before any essence of twists are even made apparent to the audience.

The first 20 minutes of the movie seem completely harmless with no characteristics of a thriller. However, immediately after setting up the characters, the movie takes the viewers into something completely different.

The movie begins with Will Atenton, played by Daniel Craig, quitting his high-caliber publishing job in the city to spend more time with his family. He then uses his severance check to purchase a home where he and his wife Libby Atenton, played by Rachel Weisz, can settle down and live happily ever after.

A twist for the wicked then comes along as their daughters begin to see a man watching them through a window from the outside. Along with this, local enforcement and youth tell of the prior residents' brutal endings in their very house five years earlier.

A man named Peter Ward was the prime suspect to the murders of his two daughters and wife. Atenton then goes on a search for answers. Some answers will have him questioning his entire reality and who the actual killer is.

To avoid this being a spoiler, the movie goes through so many turns that the audience will be in an enjoyable type of dizziness until the very end. Justice, fatherly love, and a never-ending drive mixed with psychological mystery make this movie a must-see.source: http://www.elpaisanonewspaper.com/enter ... -1.2640907

Laredo

Post by Laredo »

my sreening was almost private , only 6 people .
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

I just watched DH with GG :twisted:

First thing that came to my mind was, what idiots have tried to sell that movie as an horror movie?
Completely misleading marketing from the start.
This is no horror movie, it's a psychological thriller about a man who endured a big fat drama in his life.

Well played by Rachel and Daniel and the two girls. All other actors are almost not existend, only have very short scenes. Naomi's part was NOT giving away the story, her part was small but significant.

Remembering the pap shots from shooting it's very obvious that they had cut out big parts. Almost all the scenes with the youngsters have not made it into the final cut.

I liked the movie, for me there have been just a few too brutal cuts and I would have loved a smoother transitions from time to time.

We recognized the wig shots :twisted: :twisted: