Spectre November 2015

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

I'm so with you, Bee, about his career. I think we all are. Good grief, he has the respect of everyone and has done amazing work - 'The Mother' is probably my favorite, along with 'Tattoo.' Christopher Waltz gets great parts. Colin Firth. Others. He's tight with Spielberg. So what's the deal?

But dang, imagine making $50 MILLION dollars for the next two movies? On top of their existing net worth. The Internet says she's worth $40m. I definitely prefer him with Rachel because I now feel Sats was always around because she didn't trust him (let's not go there.) It appears he is really happy with Rachel and enjoys time off more than we realized he would. But where's the ole drive to create? Off topic - I wonder if they own a Frances Bacon painting. He said in an interview that if he ever had money, he would buy one. Well, he has the money.

Perhaps he figures as long as he is Bond, that's all people will see in him. It seems that's how people view him now, regardless of his other parts. James Bond. After he quits the role, he'll no longer BE Bond and people may move on. I don't think Brosnan carries the Bond name much anymore. It belongs to Daniel.
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Sylvia's girl wrote:I think both are great.
I agree and there's no reason why both can't join the cast, especially when Waltz playe an ambivalent character.

We had two baddies in CR and a German henchman, so why not :lol:

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Dunda wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:I think both are great.
I agree and there's no reason why both can't join the cast, especially when Waltz playe an ambivalent character.

We had two baddies in CR and a German henchman, so why not :lol:
Exactly. I know a lot of people may not know Andrew Scott but I've seen him in quite a few things and in my opinion he's fab.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

sf2la wrote:I'm so with you, Bee, about his career. I think we all are. Good grief, he has the respect of everyone and has done amazing work - 'The Mother' is probably my favorite, along with 'Tattoo.' Christopher Waltz gets great parts. Colin Firth. Others. He's tight with Spielberg. So what's the deal?

But dang, imagine making $50 MILLION dollars for the next two movies? On top of their existing net worth. The Internet says she's worth $40m. I definitely prefer him with Rachel because I now feel Sats was always around because she didn't trust him (let's not go there.) It appears he is really happy with Rachel and enjoys time off more than we realized he would. But where's the ole drive to create? Off topic - I wonder if they own a Frances Bacon painting. He said in an interview that if he ever had money, he would buy one. Well, he has the money.

Perhaps he figures as long as he is Bond, that's all people will see in him. It seems that's how people view him now, regardless of his other parts. James Bond. After he quits the role, he'll no longer BE Bond and people may move on. I don't think Brosnan carries the Bond name much anymore. It belongs to Daniel.
Too Bee and sf, I understand and share, of course, where you are coming from. But lets look at some facts:

ALL his Non-Bond films have been unperforming, never mind, how loaded with great prods, directors etc they were. If 2010 had worked out, he would be THE actor. THE one with the most franchises, one of them Bond. He would have worked Non Stop. And personally I don't see any B-movies among them. DH? Jim Sheridan is a very repected director or still was at the time. C&A? With a budget of 160 mill?
But it didn't go that way. I feel for him and he probably felt disillusioned. Feels, that people indeed only accept him as Bond. So why keep trying, when off time suddenly feels so good?

Its sad and unsatisfying for us as fans and I can understand, when people loose patince and move on. For him, now, I believe, he would have liked them to have been more successful but also, I think, he has come to have peace with it and enjoyed the opportunity of living a "normal" life for a longer time. He looked happy enough all the time to come to this conclusion.

IMO a whole new variety of roles will come, once he is finished with Bond. He got away from his Indie routes, seeing all the chances, they were throwing at him. He grabbed them, nobody can blame him for that.
I see him as doing great, juicy roles as supporting actor, sometimes as the lead. He won't NOT work. But unlike others, who throw out film after film right now, he is not chasing success like crazy anyore and hence can afford to work, when he feels like it and when the role is to his liking.

All in all, I feel, he is in a great place right now, more releaxed and in peace with himself then ever before.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

These are the folks over at MI6 and no doubt every other Bond board right now :lol:

The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Germangirl wrote:These are the folks over at MI6 and no doubt every other Bond board right now :lol:

We aren't much different, are we? :wink: So glad I have time to watch it :D
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Great GIF!! Haha!
GG, I agree with every word you said. He gave it a try, but his films post-Bond, didn't resonate with the audiences or critics. Then he fell madly in love, married, finished his pre-marriage work commitments, and took the opportunity to devote his time to family and take a break. All the time knowing that he didn't have to look for work; he just had to wait for Bond. Post-Bond, he'll be back in other films. Probably never as prolific as before, but that would be because it's his choice.
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

sf2la wrote:Great GIF!! Haha!
GG, I agree with every word you said. He gave it a try, but his films post-Bond, didn't resonate with the audiences or critics. Then he fell madly in love, married, finished his pre-marriage work commitments, and took the opportunity to devote his time to family and take a break. All the time knowing that he didn't have to look for work; he just had to wait for Bond. Post-Bond, he'll be back in other films. Probably never as prolific as before, but that would be because it's his choice.
Can't come soon enough. Just no more theater please.
SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

I have read Mrs Bee, Sf & GG's comments regarding Daniels career with interest....

IMO, Daniel should not just rely on Bond to keep his 'acting muscles' exercised. I have 110% faith in him but I also wonder to myself 'Gee, it's been so long since he did a movie... will he forget how to do it or is it like 'riding a bike'?? :? I guess that to have the amount of talent that HE has means you are BORN with it. But I definitely would love him to do other movies outside of Bond. Categorically, I cannot see why Flashbacks, C&A and GDT are seen as "failures". OK, so they didn't gross half a billion dollars at the box office but I think for ANY movie to do that in this day and age is pretty exceptional. I will be very interested to see who dominates the box office in 2015... Bond or Star Wars? The only reason B24 has a chance against SW is because of Skyfall. I think we are ALL agreed that MORE diversity from Dan is much needed. But maybe he has TRIED to make other movies in the past two years and, through no fault of his own, those movies simply fell through. I am glad he is happy in his personal life but that should be no "excuse" for opting out of doing what he does so well. Believe me, I have had my panic attacks in the past over how I would feel if he did retire. 'Devastated' would be the most apt word. After all, this is something I have no control over. It is HIS life and he must know what he wants to do with his career? I am hoping that R sees what talent he has and is encouraging him to continue to flex those acting muscles and spread his wings in terms of roles. To this end, I hope for a bright future for our Beloved AND all of his fans. It would need to be a 'cold day in hell' before I walk away from his side. By the same token, despite all the anticipation and excitement, October 2015 still feels like a LONG way off and, to go through another Dry Spell of this length may just kill me. I also can't help but think that it goes back to Daniel NOT RECOGNISING HIS OWN WORTH. It wouldn't surprise me if he thought to himself... 'Does anyone out there miss me? Nah, of course not!'

Having said my piece on THAT subject, may I add...

I have NO idea who this Andrew Scott is. I never watch Sherlock. Maybe if I saw a clip of him in something, it would jog my memory?

Tomorrow scares me.... What if....

* My laptop decides not to work?
* I cannot get internet connection?
* DtD crashes through sheer and sudden overuse?

If any of these three things happen, I will be REALLY upset.

But if it all goes fine and I SEE HIM, I will be SO HAPPY!!! :D

Just really nervous for some reason... I wonder if Daniel is too?
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Kitten, I am sure, at least two of your worries will happen, since you put so much energy in them :lol: No kiddin...

BTW - C&A was a huge flop. The film did cost 160 mill and made 160 mill. To get even at least, he would have needed to double.
Tattoo would have needed 300 mill to make a good profit.

Flashbacks did cost 10 mill pounds and didn't get into profit. So no, these are not successful movies, where it counts too. BO.
Defiance cost 55 Mill and made about that. etc etc. sorry...

SmittenDramaKitten

Post by SmittenDramaKitten »

Thanks for that GG... :) What do I know about the financial dealings in movie making? :dunno: I just know what I like and whether I enjoy a movie or not... 8)

PS... I hope you were 'just kidding' about those three 'worries' of mine. I only mentioned them to illustrate how nervous I am... :blush:
bumblebee

Post by bumblebee »

I never really saw Tattoo as a DC vehicle, he was really a supporting role in that, it was Rooney's movie through and through. I do love him, please don't get me wrong, it's just been soooo hard lately with the lack of intensity and I simply could not get excited about Tin Tin, Skyfall, Compass, FoF (sometimes), Cowboys, DH, and so on. That's a lot of not so good movies, so maybe he was right to rein himself in a bit.

Hopefully the junkets will see him share his reasons for the quiet time between two Bonds. Which, GG already touched on.
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

He'd probably answer family time and why not imo.
October is a long time to wait for the junkets.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Sylvia's girl wrote:He'd probably answer family time and why not imo.
Yes and its not untrue either. But we don't have to wait till October to have a lot more then we are used to by now. :D
Last edited by Germangirl on Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:
Sylvia's girl wrote:He'd probably answer family time and why not imo.
Yes and its not untrue either. But we don't have to wait till October tohave a lot more then we are used to by now. :D
Hopefully there will be on set visits plus press junkets on location.