Othello

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Spectacular reviews. Actually never thought, Daniel would be soo good in this. Better then in his other plays, it seems.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

A few more...

Sarah Khan â€￾@Khanstellation 5h5 hours ago
Bravo #DanielCraig, maniacal performance as Iago in @NYTW79's #Othello
Daniel Craig takes a maniacal turn as Iago in the previews for Othello! David Oyelowo heartbreaking as the title role.
P.S. (Almost?) Best part was the intensity with which David Schwimmer watched the whole thing 😆

Howard Sherman â€￾@HESherman 8h8 hours ago
Big celeb night for OTHELLO at @NYTW79: Julianna Margulies, @LucyLiu, David Schwimmer, Carla Gugino.
David Walliams of "Little Britain" and director JC Chandor too

leo16@jewsicaa it's unreal. You gotta go. The two of them are just so fucking good. Everybody. It's great.

Vesna Vujinovic Phenomenal show. So fortunate to be able to see such incredible talent of Othello cast!! And amazed by star like Daniel Craig to be able and be willing to perform in such seating. Thank you Mr. Craig for support of local theater and theater art!! You are great example to young theater students!! Thank you

Jim Markham reviewed New York Theatre Workshop – 5 star
8 December at 20:31 ·
So amazing! Wow!!! All actors were great. Daniel Craig and David Oyolewo were so fascinating. It was also great to see Daniel Craig's funny side. Blessed to see this show in such a tiny theatre. Making it even more special.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Germangirl wrote:Spectacular reviews. Actually never thought, Daniel would be soo good in this. Better then in his other plays, it seems.
He's perfect in this. In the others, I suppose it felt like he was playing a character. He IS Iago in this. And it's just the whole ambience of the intimate space, THIS adaptation, and having a just-as-powerful co-star in David O. The only 'eh' role for me was Othello's girlfriend, Desdemona. She was good, but the chemistry between the two lacked to me. But that's 3% of the play.

Thanks for the tweets SG! So interesting to read.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Why do you think, that is. Is it closer to his character or ..? ( I have never read it)
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Germangirl wrote:Why do you think, that is. Is it closer to his character or ..? ( I have never read it)

I really hope not! :shock:
Iajo is deceitful and malicious and he knows it and doesn't regret it at all.

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Germangirl wrote:Why do you think, that is. Is it closer to his character or ..? ( I have never read it)
Well, he's always said that he enjoys playing twisted characters.
It sounds as though he really inhabits the role and becomes the character.
sf2la

Post by sf2la »

It's hard to explain... I guess to me, watching him perform the others was like watching him play someone else. It had 'play' all over it. And as said before, I believe it took Daniel a while to embody his Jerry role in Betrayal. But he just IS Iago in this. Sure, he's acting, but he's so into the character and so good at it. It seems so effortless to watch him but you just know the incredible work he had to put into it. There's no sense in having to hope he does well. He knocks it out of the park (sorry, Americsn saying.) But the play requires the two D's to be as good. They are a force of nature and I certainly have a new respect for Daniel and the theater. I have seen a lot of plays and musicals in SF, NYC and London. There is no question that this is by far my favorite, and that's not just because of Daniel. The closeness to the action and actors is a huge part of the experience. That will be lost if it goes to Broadway, but that's certainly the two D's chance for a Tony. This is the play. Just so hoping work doesn't interfere with my January ticket. Eek.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Every time now, I read this, I instantly start moaning and have to kick me in the arse to stop it. :lol:

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Germangirl wrote:Thanks :D

Every time now, I read this, I instantly start moaning and have to kick me in the arse to stop it. :lol:
But it's get expensive to travel overseas. I would not have flown to London just to see a play. And you don't want to go into debt unless you can pay it off right away. But I understand, and it's a bummer they don't do the production in NYC and London, back to back. That would be perfect.

The only negative was that my butt started to hurt towards the end :lol: It was a bit freeing not to think about the stage door. That was always stressful.
Last edited by sf2la on Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Yeah, the seats and its a lot of elderly folks. What where they thinking? :shock:

I could have paid it, but didn't think, it was such a gem. But its a decision made and I will get over it :wink:

Sylvia's girl

Post by Sylvia's girl »

Michele Ruiz â€￾@MicheleRuiz01 3h3 hours ago
Michele Ruiz Retweeted VANITY FAIR
Superb performance tonight by #DanielCraig and #DavidOyelowo in #Othello . Seeing it in 199-seat theater was a real treat. #NYTheater

Stephan JamesVerified account â€￾@realstephj 10h10 hours ago
Saw the great David Oyelowo & Daniel Craig on stage last night in 'Othello'.
What a show. May have to get back to theater. Truly Inspired.

“Celebrity "OTHELLO" Shows off NYTW & Movie-stars' Brilliant Line-readingsâ€￾
5 of 5 bubblesReviewed 3 days ago NEW
Ever seen one of those actors who completely disappears into her roles? NEW YORK THEATER WORKSHOP does that. It’s given actors & directors for, at least 30 years, space to experiment & audiences a place at the conversation table.

And every time I go to NYTW, it’s a radical theatre absorption experience into the dramatic text—like the recent “Nat Turner in Jerusalem,â€￾ where we waited in his jail cell on the last night of his life.

So, now comes hot-ticket “OTHELLOâ€￾ with James Bond’s Daniel Craig. Get ready for major machismo & electric acting.

Sam Gold’s whip-smart production of “Othelloâ€￾ at NEW YORK THEATER WORKSHOP deploys modern-day camouflage in a Cypress army barracks set. Celebrity actors bring disturbing clarity & humanity to Shakespeare’s magnificent text.

We are intimately embedded (are we ever!) with a dynamo cast of hyper-buff soldier-actors armed for bear with no one to kill, since the enemy was lost at sea. Poised for violence, they idle away the tense hours with hard rock, hand weights & wrestling.

Also illuminated in David Oyelowo & Daniel Craig’s interpretation is a harsh reversal of the kind of class distinction usually on view in Othello productions with only one Black actor to represent the entire issue of race.

Here among a diverse cast, Oyelowo’s squared-away Othello speaks like African royalty, while Daniel Craig’s scruffy ensign Iago is presented as a hot-head blue-collar chump, glowering “at easeâ€￾ with barely contained hostility.

This magnificent duo is locked in a visceral struggle of machismo, ambition, jealousy & betrayal, slugging it out in truly brilliant line-readings of the exacting Shakespearean verse.

And we are locked into their fresh-cut wood barracks space with them, often eavesdropping on them in the darkness, or blinding glare with clever use of camp lights, in a space of such claustrophobic intimacy that we are implicated in our very infatuation with the characters—Iago in the early Acts & Othello in the last two.

In an after-preview chat, director Sam Gold reminded us that “Othelloâ€￾ is a definitive landmine for cultural hot-button stigmas & it provides an opportunity to explore not only Islamophobia & abuse against women, but also PTSD from war in the Middle East. The play left me jazzed & restless, ready to wrestle the boys & write poetry.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserR ... _York.html#
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

Thanks, SG.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

Wonderful. Today is the day :D Break a leg, guys!!

sf2la

Post by sf2la »

Yes! So looking forward to the reviews!
One thing about watching him in this show is that it makes it very clear to me that he is nothing like James Bond. He says he's not, but it was sort of hard to imagine that they were NOTHING alike. These roles are so different, and he is so alive, speaking SO much in this role, and so animated. It's jut that for now, the image I have of him is not Bond. But I think he'll be back. $150k for two movies??? How does one turn that down?????
cassandra

Post by cassandra »

‘Othello’ review: Daniel Craig, David Oyelowo shine in timely production

http://www.amny.com/entertainment/othel ... 1.12745065