DC in Ed Zwick's DEFIANCE

Visit here to read and post all the latest Daniel Craig-related news, TV/VCR(DVD) alerts, etc.

Moderator: Germangirl

advicky

Post by advicky »

Daniel Craig Interview, Defiance

Daniel Craig is best known for his acclaimed, gritty portrayal of 007 in the latest incarnations of the beloved Bond franchise, but he has also given a wide range of intense, critically-acclaimed performances in such films as “Layer Cake” and “Munich.” It was the breadth of his abilities that attracted director Ed Zwick to cast him in his new film, “Defiance,” an epic tale of family, honor, vengeance and salvation based on Nechama Tec’s non-fiction book of the same name

MoviesOnline sat down with Daniel Craig to talk about “Defiance,” which was set during World War II as the Jews of Eastern Europe are being massacred by the thousands. Craig, Liev Schreiber and Jamie Bell star as brothers who turn a primitive struggle to survive into something far more consequential – a way to avenge the deaths of their loved ones by saving thousands of others.

Managing to escape certain death, the Bielski brothers take refuge in the dense surrounding woods they have known since childhood. There they begin their desperate battle against the Nazis. Tuvia (Craig) is a reluctant leader and his decisions are challenged by his brother, Zus (Schreiber) who worries that Tuvia’s idealistic plans will doom them all. Asael (Bell) is the youngest – caught between his brothers’ fierce rivalry. As a brutal winter descends, they work to create a community and to keep faith alive when all humanity appeared to be lost.

The film really took shape once Craig agreed to play the role of Tuvia. Zwick, who felt he was the perfect casting choice, explains, “Daniel is at heart a very modest man, yet also quite forceful. He’s wonderfully self-deprecating and at the same time he projects a real sense of power. He’s a very soulful person, but he doesn’t reveal himself right away. He’s also physically imposing, and the one thing everyone who knew him said about Tuvia Bielski is that he was strong and charismatic. Most of all, I know that although Daniel is now a big movie star, he will always be a brave and searching actor.”

Daniel Craig delivers a compelling performance in “Defiance” and we really appreciated his time. Here’s what he had to tell us about his new film:

MOVIESONLINE: I KNOW THAT THE GRANDCHILDREN CAME ON THE SET OF THIS FILM. DID TALKING TO PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY KNEW TUVIA HELP INFORM YOUR ROLE IN THIS FILM?

CRAIG: Very much. It's sort of difficult because your mind is full of expectations when meeting a family member, a son, a daughter, because you sort of feel that there will be an immediate connection to what you're doing and that's not the reality of it though. What did strike me about them very much and what was really very pleasant is that you're kind of awkward when you meet someone like that. You're like, “Hi. It's lovely to see you in Lithuania. It's very nice over here.” [laughs] There's no sort of starting point for the conversation and so they all sat down. I kind of sat them all down and I'm in uniform and working and it's like, “It's great to see you.” I went, “Vodka? Vodka? Vodka?” I kind of wandered off and found the caterer and I said, “Have you got any vodka?” And of course they did because we were in Lithuania, for breakfast over the cornflakes. They cracked it and I sort of slowly passed this around and we all sort of toasted and they kind of came out of their shells and got very loaded and had to be told to leave because they were making so much noise. We connected and they're full of life. They're full of energy. They're a big family. They're a strong New York family. You kind of go, “Good. That's what this is about.” The heart of this movie is my relationship with Liev [Schreiber] and Jamie [Bell] and the fact that we're a family unit and how we then make that into a bigger family unit. So I kind of felt good about it.

MOVIESONLINE: DID THEY TELL YOU ANYTHING ABOUT YOUR CHARACTER THAT YOU COULD ACTUALLY USE?

CRAIG: Well, the thing of it is that for all sorts of reasons he didn't talk about it. My theory, and I think it's fairly accurate, is that the children of the people that went through it started growing up and of course started asking questions and saying, “What was your experience?” There were people who had gone through the Holocaust and had survived Auschwitz and these people had survived, certainly, in a very different way. I think the common theme was Tuvia Bielski. They said, “This man led us through.”

MOVIESONLINE: THE MOSES ANALOGY IS INTERESTING BUT MOSES DOESN'T REALLY MAKE IT TO THE PROMISE LAND.

CRAIG: Well, I think the obvious thing to say is that my character is not a particularly good Jew. He's certainly not, but where we took that from in effect was that in Lithuania, in Vilnius, Yiddish was the second language. These were totally integrated communities that got wiped out. That's another part of the tragedy. There was trade. There was intermarriage. It was actually a huge melting pot that got destroyed and Tuvia is a businessman. He's first and foremost a Belarusian businessman. So we take the story on, like Allan [Corduner] says, “I remember you in class,” and him going, “I don't remember you even slightly.” School was never really that interesting to him. He only wanted to live life. I think that his faith is something that he's never used and doesn't even want to draw upon in this situation because he feels guilty about that fact, but in spite of that it sort of brings everyone together and it brings him together eventually.

MOVIESONLINE: IS IT HARD NOT BEING JAMES BOND IN A JAMES BOND TYPE MOMENT LIKE WHEN YOU GO INTO THE HOUSE AND SHOOT THAT GUY?

CRAIG: No. I don't have those connections in my head. The situation is that the guy can't really use a gun that well and certainly he's never shot anyone in cold blood before and so it's a completely different sort of mindset. The soundtrack isn't going on in my head when I'm doing that.

MOVIESONLINE: YOU'RE THE HERO THROUGHOUT THIS FILM, BUT YOU DO HAVE TO KILL A MEMBER OF YOUR OWN BAND AND DO SOME PRETTY HARD THINGS. HOW DID YOU APPROACH THAT DUALITY?

CRAIG: Well, that's what fascinated me about this really. It's obvious if anyone watches the film, if anyone reads the book, obvious if you sort of understand the storyline, these people did bad things. They did very, very bad things and you always have to look at the net result which is that 1200 people walked out of this situation and survived. But keeping that many people together and under control, there were power struggles and major sort of shifts in power. There was Zus Bielski who was trying to gain control. They took revenge on the local population. They fought very hard against the Germans at times. It's that moral line that they're walking, but for kind of a good reason that I found fascinating. The question is what would you do in a situation like this, how would you defend yourself? You'd like to think that you'd protect your family, that you'd protect the people around you, but what would you be prepared to do to actually make that succeed, to protect yourself and your family.

MOVIESONLINE: WAS SOME OF THAT BASED ON REAL THINGS THAT HAPPENED?

CRAIG: Most of what happens in the movie is absolutely reported and it happened over a three or four-year period. We sort of condensed a lot of that into one year, but the running away, going through the swamp, the fact that a whole infantry of Germans were sent in to get them, 20,000 men were sent in to actually root them out, them and other troops like them – it all happened. Obviously, this is a film and we've got to put it dramatically into a context.

MOVIESONLINE: DO YOU VIEW THIS AS SORT OF A COMPANION PIECE TO “MUNICH,” A SORT OF JEWISH VENGEANCE?

CRAIG: I don't think that. If you'd like to do that, you're more than welcome to that, but I don't put my work into a sort of DVD collection, my blue period here or something or my Jewish period here. I mean, genuinely, and I know this might sound kind of naïve, but when I read this script, the last thing on my mind was “Munich.” I just read this. This deals with something that's close to my heart because my grandparents went through the Second World War, but it has a direct sort of link to all of us which is the First World War was the war to end all wars and this war was the war that stopped and made us all human which was that we all signed treaties and said that we'd never do this again. We've been doing it ever since, year by year, worse and worse, and wiping our asses on these treaties. It's an important piece of history.

This story in itself I found so inspiring because it was about the way that people survived this situation and when they stopped fighting. That was the other thing that came up for me. When do you stop fighting? When do you actually sort of find peace? When do you start living? That line in this movie is sort of drawn in the sand by Tuvia saying, “We stop this now and we start to live.”

MOVIESONLINE: DID SHOOTING ON LOCATION HELP INFORM YOUR CHARACTER?

CRAIG: Very much. A great deal. We always had to have in the back of our mind that reality. We were doing long days and 6-day weeks, but we had warm beds to go to and apparently, we were probably bitching about it, but we did have trailers somewhere. There were different sort of map references. They would give us a map in the morning and say, “If you can find it, you can have it.” So we'd stay on set, but we stayed on set literally constantly and we'd be under tents, tarps, sort of watching the scenes. That made it very immediate. It made us all feel involved with everything and it gave a community feeling to us which was kind of essential for the movie, giving it that life. Like I said though, it's cold and wet and damp and uncomfortable, but you knew that you were going home that night so it was okay.

MOVIESONLINE: WHAT WAS ED ZWICK'S REHEARSAL STYLE LIKE? WAS THERE A LOT OF REHEARSING?

CRAIG: We had a lot of discussion before we started shooting. Sometimes you'd get to a scene on the shoot and it'd just click and you'd go, “Okay, we know what we want to do.” We'd set the camera up and we'd shoot it. Then other times there's the very emotional stuff and you kind of give it more time and let there be more air around the scene. Then sometimes you'd just sort of hit a brick wall like you always do and everyone would come in and sit down and discuss it. We'd discuss the camera. The camera department would come in and say, “Maybe we can shoot it from up there. Maybe it'll give it that feeling.” If the scene wasn't working, we could rewrite. Clay [Frohman] was on set and would rewrite scenes as we were going along or we'd sort of improvise bits and pieces if we could.

MOVIESONLINE: WHAT ABOUT THE RUSSIAN? HOW HARD WAS THAT?

CRAIG: I mean, I left school at sixteen and I can't conjugate a verb in any language, even English. Russian is in Cyrillic as well so you can’t read it on the page. So I just did it phonetically. Liev has an education and so he took pains to learn it a bit. It was tricky and difficult and especially because Ed suddenly heard, into his mind, that we were doing remarkably well from whoever was teaching us Russian and decided to make two or three other scenes in Russian as well. I'm glad that we did it. I'm glad that we made the distinction because obviously the conceit is that we're all speaking Yiddish to each other and that Russian is spoken and German is spoken around us and we all have an accent because it grounds it and it makes it sound that we have a uniformity because obviously we've got English, Lithuanian, French – there's a whole international group of actors in there that would have made it the Tower of Babel if we were speaking in our own accents.

MOVIESONLINE: “QUANTUM OF SOLACE” WAS A HUGE WORLDWIDE SUCCESS. FOR SOMEONE WHO PUT SO MUCH EFFORT AND ENERGY INTO IT, DO YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THAT SUCCESS AT THE BOX OFFICE?

CRAIG: I mean, of course I pay attention. It's not like, “No. I'm not interested.” It's great. We couldn't have expected it to do as well as it has done. We put the work in. We put the energy in and we made the best movie that we could. You can only hope. If you knew that everything was a sure fire winner, everybody would be doing it. So there's always a risk involved and it's been a pleasure to see it do so well.

MOVIESONLINE: IS THERE GOING TO BE A TRILOGY?

CRAIG: No.

MOVIESONLINE: ABSOLUTELY NOT?

CRAIG: No. No fucking way [laughs]. I'm done with that fucking story. I want to lie on a beach for the first half hour of the next movie, drinking a cocktail. I don't know what we're going to do with the next one. I know that we've finished this story as far as I'm concerned and we've got a great set of bad guys. There's an organization that we can use whenever we want to use it. The relationship between Bond and M is secure and Felix is secure. We can try to find out where Moneypenny came from and where Q comes from. Let’s do all that and have some fun with it.

MOVIESONLINE: WITH THE STUDIO DOING SO WELL WITH THESE MOVIES, I'M SURE THEY WANT TO GET STARTED AGAIN QUICKLY. ARE YOU MORE INTERESTED IN DOING ANOTHER PROJECT LIKE “DEFIANCE” BEFORE THE NEXT BOND FILM?

CRAIG: We don't know when we're going to do the next Bond. Certainly no one is thinking about it just at the moment and we're going to give it a rest for the moment. If we can squeeze something in, if I can do something next year, I will, but I haven't found out what that's going to be yet, but not another “Defiance,” not in the cold. [laughs]

MOVIESONLINE: HAS ANYONE APPROACHED YOU ABOUT A BEACH PICTURE AT ALL?

CRAIG: A beach picture? Well, I can't surf. I can lie down, but I can’t surf. [laughs]

MOVIESONLINE: I SAW “FLASHBACKS OF A FOOL” A FEW MONTHS AGO. IT WAS A VERY NICE, INTIMATE STORY. WOULD YOU LIKE TO DO MORE OF THOSE?

CRAIG: I'd love to. That was really a kind of labor of love. That was a friend of mine who had written that about 7 or 8 years ago for me. We managed to get it made and I'm very keen to get stuff like that off the ground if I can, whether I'm producing or not or whether I'm in it or not. It's nice to get that stuff and to encourage people I know with a lot of talent to just get on with it.

MOVIESONLINE: WITH YOU PLAYING JAMES BOND AND THE BOND FILMS BEING SO SUCCESSFUL, A SMALLER FILM LIKE “DEFIANCE” IS GOING TO BE SEEN BY MANY MORE PEOPLE THAN IT MIGHT BE OTHERWISE. ARE YOU AWARE THAT YOUR PRESENCE CAN HAVE THAT IMPACT?

CRAIG: Am I tracking it? No, I'm not. Of course, I know what you're saying, but there's no real comment on it. If it gets more people in to see the film, then that's fantastic, but it's sort of a given maybe.

MOVIESONLINE: DO YOU THINK ABOUT USING YOUR STATUS TO GET MORE PERSONAL, SMALLER PROJECTS MADE THAT YOU LIKE?

CRAIG: For sure. In a sense this movie was definitely very much like that. Ed's been struggling with it for a long time. He went to Europe and basically raised the money in individual territories, to get the money for this, and I think that my saying yes to it and getting my name in it gave it that little extra push and thankfully Paramount Vantage came in and picked it up here. So it's that process. It's not a very clear cut process. As much I'd like to say that I'm definitely going to do that, it's still a lot of work involved. But I'm going to definitely work that way and try to encourage things if I can.

MOVIESONLINE: IS THAT A RESPONSIBILITY THAT YOU FEEL?

CRAIG: I think so, a little bit, yes. I mean, there's definitely a responsibility and you have to sort of pay it back a little bit into the business. It's also because I love doing it. It's a narcissism as well.

MOVIESONLINE: WOULD YOU EVER DO A STEVE MCQUEEN MOVIE BECAUSE AFTER “LAYER CAKE” EVERYONE CALLED YOU THE NEW STEVE MCQUEEN?

CRAIG: Well, he's done them and I wouldn't try to repeat that. Steve McQueen movies don't need retouching.

MOVIESONLINE: YOU WOULDN'T REDO “BULLET”

CRAIG: No. I mean, the movie is too good. I just wouldn't be interested.

MOVIESONLINE: YOU DID ACTION SEQUENCES IN THIS FILM AND THEN, OF COURSE, YOU DID SO MANY IN THE BOND FILMS, WHEN YOU CONSIDER FUTURE PROJECTS, ARE YOU LOOKING FOR…

CRAIG: Kitchen sink dramas? Honestly, I know what you're trying to do, asking if I'm consciously trying to pick stuff. I'm not consciously trying to do that. If there was that much material around for me to pick and choose from, I would be doing that. But there is a finite number of good scripts. There are only so many good pieces of material, good books out there and you have to look for them. So, to say that I won't do this is really kind of shutting the door on so much material. I keep my mind totally open and we'll just see what comes along.

MOVIESONLINE: YOU HAVE THE CLOUT NOW THAT IF THERE'S A BOOK OR A PLAY THAT YOU REALLY WANTED TO DO…

CRAIG: Yeah, but I've got to read it [laughs].

MOVIESONLINE: YOU COULD START YOUR OWN PRODUCTION COMPANY AND START GETTING THOSE THINGS DEVELOPED.

CRAIG: Yeah, look, what you would normally do is if I was going to do a movie and it was going to go like that, I would start a production company. I don't need to start a production company to do that. I can have a production company and office and sit in there on the phone and go [sighs]. But it doesn't have to work that way. What you do is you find the material. You get the job and you make the job. Having a production company is a byproduct of making a film. It doesn't make a movie.

MOVIESONLINE: SO THERE'S NOT SOMETHING YOU'RE DYING TO DEVELOP BECAUSE IT'S CLOSE TO YOU, A DREAM PROJECT YOU FEEL PASSIONATE ABOUT?

CRAIG: The first five books of the Bible. It's a small thing I've been working on for years, but it's just something that I really want to do [laughs].

MOVIESONLINE: WE TALKED TO LIEV EARLIER ABOUT THE FIGHT SEQUENCE. IT'S A VISCERAL THING TO SEE BROTHERS BEATING EACH OTHER UP LIKE THAT.

CRAIG: Well, having done a few now I know that the only way that you get them to look right is by rehearsing them. So that's what we did. We did it for weeks before we started shooting. We went into the studio, put mats on the floor and sort of figured it out. What we wanted to do was try to make it as brotherly as possible which is why there's a punch in the bullocks and aspects that would make you go, “Those are brothers fighting.” There's obviously a Cain and Abel thing with the rock and that came about as just a piece of improvisation. There was a rock there and it was about how we were going to end this, how we were going to end this fight because actually the only way to end the fight is by the one wanting to kill the other one. So there's a rock to hand. Also, he's bigger than me and I had to hit him with something. [laughs]

MOVIESONLINE: HE SAID IT WAS YOUR IDEA TO PUNCH HIM IN THE BALLS. IS THAT TRUE?

CRAIG: [laughs] Yes.

“Defiance” opens in theaters on December 31st.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_16161.html

Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

“Daniel is at heart a very modest man, yet also quite forceful. He’s wonderfully self-deprecating and at the same time he projects a real sense of power. He’s a very soulful person, but he doesn’t reveal himself right away. He’s also physically imposing, and the one thing everyone who knew him said about Tuvia Bielski is that he was strong and charismatic. Most of all, I know that although Daniel is now a big movie star, he will always be a brave and searching actor.”
Pretty much the essence of him in a few words.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

JoniJoni

Post by JoniJoni »

Nice interview Advicky.

So he punches Liev in the balls??

And I like the idea of a beach movie. Who could play his Gidget?

Advicky, your avatar is to die for. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
advicky

Post by advicky »

JoniJoni wrote:Nice interview Advicky.

So he punches Liev in the balls??

And I like the idea of a beach movie. Who could play his Gidget?

Advicky, your avatar is to die for. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Thank you, but Redluna found these pictures and I have only used it.

JoniJoni

Post by JoniJoni »

MoviesOnline: How were they as your siblings? Did you guys form a bond out there in the woods?

JAMIE BELL: Very much so. I have a big admiration for these guys as actors, even more so now as men. With Daniel, he’s obviously a fellow Brit, so that comes with the territory, but then I’ve been a massive fan of his for a very, very long time. I remember a TV show he did in England, he probably hates me talking about this, but it’s a show called Our Friends in the North, and it was an absolutely fantastic show. And I saw him on stage, a friend of mine directed him in a play, so I think our knowledge of this guy seems to fall to one name, and that’s James Bond, but for me that isn’t the case at all. I know Daniel Craig, the very fine versatile actor. So getting to work with him and then translating that admiration that I have for him into this brother who basically idolized this guy was actually very easy.

MoviesOnline: Did he limit you to one James Bond question a day?

JAMIE BELL: I never talked about James Bond. I never questioned him. The only thing I actually did question him on was action sequences, because I don’t really know how to do it. What I usually do in those kinds of situations, and I’ve done other films with action in them, is that I click to Honesty, I go to Truth. I go “Well, what would Jamie do in this situation?” And, of course, Jamie goes, “Oh, I’m fucking, fucking dead.” Of course, that doesn’t look incredibly good for the camera. It’s not incredibly heroic. It’s not… So, just seeing the way Daniel does it, because obviously he’s had to learn it, and it really becomes more like a dance rather than anything else. It’s a number of choreographed movements that are sharp and effective and you want to make it look good for the camera. So, in that regard it was just more of a technique, learning that technique from him, which I thought was important, because Ed Zwick really focuses on that. He really likes the action. He likes heroes and he likes these kinds of big stories.

http://www.moviesonline.ca/movienews_16164.html
Jamie Bell Interview, Defiance
Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Nice interview. I can't wait to see this movie.

Thanks JJ.
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
JoniJoni

Post by JoniJoni »

Hmmmm,

"For reasons unclear, Paramount Vantage pushes back its "Defiance" opening and decides to give the movie only a token awards run, even though the picture is a tour de force and Daniel Craig , playing a tormented Jewish partisan, gives what is easily one of the best performances of the year."

http://www.reuters.com/article/entertai ... inmentNews
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

JoniJoni wrote:Hmmmm,

"For reasons unclear, Paramount Vantage pushes back its "Defiance" opening and decides to give the movie only a token awards run, even though the picture is a tour de force and Daniel Craig , playing a tormented Jewish partisan, gives what is easily one of the best performances of the year."

Sometimes we cannot understand desisions they make - its like they don´t want to get as much success out of some films as they possibly could. Good to hear though, that he is acknowledged to be that good after all.
The top notch acting in the Weisz/Craig/Spall 'Betrayal' is emotionally true, often v funny and its beautifully staged with filmic qualities..

Daskedusken

Post by Daskedusken »

Advicky, thanks for posting that long, detailed nice interview. Finally I had the time to read it and it was great.
"Love anyway. Live anyway. Choose to part of this anyway”
Dunda
Administrator

Post by Dunda »

Germangirl wrote:

Sometimes we cannot understand desisions they make - its like they don´t want to get as much success out of some films as they possibly could. Good to hear though, that he is acknowledged to be that good after all.
I think this quote from Reuters is taken out of context. IMO it applies to the postponement from December 2008 to January 2009.
When you read the whole article it deals with the Oscar hullabaloo in general: http://www.reuters.com/article/entertai ... inmentNews

Visit the forum at www.dedicatedtodaniel.com
calypso

Post by calypso »

http://www.news-press.com/article/20081 ... 1002/RSS01

Two Lee residents see father's story brought to life
By MARK S. KRZOS • mkrzos@news-press.com • December 30, 2008

The fictional James Bond made Daniel Craig an action superstar. Now, Craig is playing a real-life action hero to tell the little-known story of Tuvia Bielski — the father of two Lee County residents — in the critically praised new film “Defiance.”

The movie, which opens in limited release Dec. 31 and will have a wider release Jan. 16, tells the story of Tuvia, Asael and Zus Bielski — three brothers who went into the forest of what is now Belarus — and mounted guerrila attacks against Nazis.

Known as the “Bielski Brigade,” the three brothers are credited with saving more than 1,200 Jews from Nazi extermination. In doing so, the brothers and their band of forest Jews — which swelled to 1,200 people, including women and children — killed more than 250 Nazis, blew up railways and posed such a threat to Adolph Hitler’s army that 100,000-mark bounty was put on Tuvia Bielski’s head.

Ruth Bielski Ehrreich, 62, a resident of Fiddlesticks in south Fort Myers and her brother, Mickey Bielski, 55, of Bonita Springs are Tuvia Bielski’s daughter and son.

“For years we tried and hoped and wished this story would be brought to life,” Bielski Ehrreich said. “We didn’t know that a movie was going to be made until it was in production.”

The film, directed by Ed Zwick (“Blood Diamond,” “The Last Samurai,” “Glory”), was shot in Lithuania over 12 weeks.

The location looked similar to the forest where the Bielski Brigade operated just outside the town of Stankevich.

“It was very cold and very wet, yet nothing compared to what the partisans endured,” Zwick said in an e-mail interview earlier this month. “At the end of the day we had a warm bath and a hotel room. They lived underground for three brutal winters.”

Bielski Ehhreich has seen the film several times.

“It’s very good, but it took me a while to get used to seeing Craig as my father,” she said. “My father was very tall, had dark hair and blue eyes and (Craig) is dirty blond and blue-eyed. After I saw it the first time, I was able to separate myself and the image of my father and get into the film.”

Zwick said Craig was chosen to play Tuvia Bielski based on his range as an actor.

“Tuvia Bielski was always described as a man of extraordinary charisma and soulfulness,” Zwick said. “Daniel is not only a man of action but also a very internal actor. He is also quite comfortable to be part of an ensemble, rather than taking focus in every scene.”

Bielski was amazed at how Zwick brought his father’s story back to life.

“Certainly liberties were taken as expected by the nature of movie making, but I must tell you that the mastery, reverence, spirit and honor that Zwick and company conveyed through the award-winning caliber acting of Daniel Craig, Leiv Schreiber, Jamie Bell and the rest of these amazing actors came through the screen like a laser aimed at your emotions,” he said. “We spent three days on the set. The experience of watching the making of the movie and then traveling for about three days into Belarus where the Bielski story actually took place could only be described as a time of exhilarating excitement and sober realism.

“I went from the killing fields of Lithuania to the mass grave of my Belarusian grandparents and other family members to the realization that I am only here through the grace of God and some pissed-off Bielskis,” he said.

Exposure to the Bielski Brigade began in 1994 following the publication of a book by Nechama Tec called “Defiance: The Bielski Partisans.” The story gained more momentum after writer Peter Duffy wrote “The Bielski Brothers: The True Story of Three Men Who Defied the Nazis, Built a Village in the Forest, and Saved 1,200 Jews” — and a History Channel special.

“As a Jewish boy growing up in the Midwest, I heard World War II stories all the time, but the stories about Jews were only about victims,” Zwick said. “I believed that the uprising in the Warsaw ghetto was the only time in which Jews had fought back. Learning about the Bielskis led to so many other stories of resistance. In my experience, people who have undergone traumatic events – whether in World War II or Vietnam – are often loathe to talk about them. And in our inevitable and necessary focus on the six million dead we have tended to neglect those who survived and how they did so.”

Paul Tenenbaum, 80, of Fort Myers spent almost four years hiding from the Nazis in a home in Brussels, Belgium. He didn’t know about the Bielskis until well after the war ended.

“Besides the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, it was one of the only cases where Jews fought back,” he said. “What the Bielskis did was unimaginable. There’s no telling how many people are alive today because of the people they saved back then. They were modest. They didn’t want medals. They just wanted to save people and that’s the beauty of this story.”

Tuvia, his brothers and their guerilla army of 200 saved as many Jews as German industrialist Oskar Schindler and killed almost as many German soldiers as the famed resisters of the Warsaw ghetto uprising, Bielski said.

The group began by sending letters to nearby Jewish ghettos telling people trapped there that if they could escape to the forest, people living there would help them.

“They were always one step ahead of the Germans,’’ Bielski said. “This isn’t a story about victims, it’s a story about triumph. They were doing all of this behind enemy lines for two years. The Germans sent 50,000 troops into the forest to look for them.’’

While Zwick did take some artistic liberties with the story, Bielski Ehrreich said the director prepared the family for the “alterations” of fact.

“There were just two minor things, really. One was a hunting scene with my mother and there was some drama between my father and Zus,” she said. “There was no drama between them.”

Overall, Bielski Ehrreich said “Defiance” is a beautifully shot film and Craig was wonderful as Tuvia Bielski.

“His Russian was very good and portrayed my father very well,” she said. “He did a great job.”

The Bielskis see “Defiance” as another way to keep the memory of their father alive.

Tuvia Bielski died in 1987 at the age of 81. He was initially buried on Long Island, but a year later was reburied in Israel where he received a military burial.

“We all had the same agenda and that was to tell the story,” she said. “All of us loved it.”

But, perhaps, the best part came during a recent screening in New York.

“About 30 survivors saw it last week (late November) and you could hear the sobbing, the emotion and everything reverberate through the theater.”

The Bielski family on the set of the new movie "Defiance" in Luthuania in 2007. From left, Robert Bielsky, Jaime Bell (Asael), Ruth Bielski Ehhreich, Jordan Bielsky (Robert's son), Zvi Bielski (Zus Bielski's son), Liev Shreiber (Zus), Daniel Craig (Tuvia), Mickey Bielski, Ed Zwick, Sharon Rennert (Ruth's daughter), Brendon Rennert (Ruth's son). (Special to news-press.com)

Tuvia
ImageImage
Laredo

Post by Laredo »

Germangirl wrote:

The way I understand it is there as a token showing for the awards season ( dec 31 ) with wide release in the later part of Jan.
Germangirl

Post by Germangirl »

laredo wrote:
Germangirl wrote:

The way I understand it is there as a token showing for the awards season ( dec 31 ) with wide release in the later part of Jan.
Yes, to enable it to go into the race at all, but with it not being on generell release already, the chance were lower and we have seen the result. But the reviews are mixed from great to bad - so it might not have picked a nod anyway.

Thelma

Post by Thelma »

Must-See Movies of 2009

Defiance (Release Date: 01/16/09)
Director: Edward Zwick
Starring: Daniel Craig, Liev Schreiber
Daniel Craig and Liev Schreiber star in Defiance, the story of three brothers caught in the midst of World War II. With their lives threatened, they escape into the woods, where they get to work building a society to harbor other refugees, and to organize a resistance against the Nazis. This is not just another war movie, although it's sure to have plenty of action. This is a movie about survival and brotherhood, and an ordinary group of people pushed by extraordinary circumstances.

Bonus reason to watch: Witness firsthand Daniel Craig's ability to avoid being typecast as James Bond, which at this point has become pretty amazing. Case in point: Pierce Brosnan had to stoop as low as Mamma Mia! to try to wrangle a post-007 career.

http://www.starpulse.com/news/index.php ... es_of_2009
advicky

Post by advicky »

Daniel Craig on Defiance

Daniel Craig played a Mossad agent in Munich. Now he plays Tuvia Bielski, leader of the Polish resistance to the Nazis in the Belarussian forest in Defiance. That must give him some insight into the Jewish experience, though the modest actor wouldn't claim such.

Daniel Craig Defiant
"I suppose that it does, but religion was not a factor in taking this job," Craig said. "It was just literally one of those situations that I sort of looked at, read it and thought that it was an amazing story. I mean, the character is in just a dreadful, dreadful, dreadful situation. There's no going away from it. God forbid any of us should be put into that situation, but something is asked of him and he's very reluctant to do it. I love the fact that they're sort of saying, 'No, you must do this.' He's going, 'No. F*ck off. I mean, I want to protect my brothers and I want to look after what's left of my family and I want to run away.' They were saying, 'But you don't have a choice here.' I think that process, and obviously we condense it in the film, this is over a three or four year period, we condense the whole thing in the film but it's incredible."

Like any dramatic film, Defiance is not a beat by beat chronology of events. "I think we tried to be as straight as possible. The events that take place in the movie happened. They happened in different ways. They happened in different contexts, but they actually kind of all occurred. This film takes over a year to happen roughly speaking and we've condensed a huge amount into that period, but we haven't shied away from anything. It's known and it's fact that they had to survive and in order to survive they had to do bad things. It's documented and it's there."

The story of Jews who fought back is not as well known, as it was the rarity of the holocaust. "I knew that there was a Jewish resistance, but the only thing that I've read about it is that it was wiped out mercilessly. It makes complete sense. Of course they did. The fact that nobody did would've been totally strange, but there were major pockets of resistance everywhere. People did fight. The fact is that there was really nowhere to run. The situation here is that the resistance happened within places like this where there was a forest, where people could get away from them. The local population was in cahoots. Unless you could get on a boat and get out of Europe you were absolutely stuck. This was an incredibly well organized exercise by the Germans. I mean, they did it really efficiently as we all know. I think that our knowledge of the Second World War is based on, and so it should be, what the result of The Holocaust was. Those are the images and the knowledge that we have of that period as we should and we should be reminded of it as often as we possibly can."

For basics, Craig had to learn Russian as Tuvia speaks the language of nearby regions. "It was a nightmare for me. I'm just the worst student in the world. I left school at sixteen. I literally cannot conjugate a verb in English. You can't conjugate a verb in English, can you? So, God knows what I know. So that's it. I really did screw up there because I actually don't really know what a verb is. Liev has years of education ahead of me and took to this very well and learned the language a little. I had to do it phonetically, learn it and understand it. I understood what I was saying, but Russian is a tricky language to get far with. It's quite easy to sort of communicate in Russian, but to actually sort of speak the language is hard. I think that you have to have an ear. I mean, part of acting is sort of mimicry, but I don't like acting as mimicry. I don't think that mimicry is very interesting in acting. I think that you have to have an ear. I've tried to learn languages and I know there's a certain stage that you get to where you have to make that sort of leap of faith and go, 'Okay, I know how to put this accent through my mouth.' It's a really hard process to go through. As an actor you have to try and make that leap because you're trying to communicate and communication is the name of the game. If you're not doing that you're kind of failing."

Defiance opens to theaters December 31st.

http://www.canmag.com/nw/13124-daniel-craig-defiance